Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Anyone Help?

fladavid

I've just picked up my new car,a 55 plate 2.0L petrol Ghia,and was wondering if anyone could help with a few queries I have??

1. What is the correct engine oil for this car?

2. How on earth do I check/replenish the brake fluid when the reservoir is tucked under the bulkhead?

3. Is it correct that the 2.0L Duratec version has no way to check the power steering fluid?

4. Since opening the bonnet for the first time I now have the warning light on the dashboard saying that the bonnet is open after closing it. Any ideas?

5. Supposedly my car should have folding mirrors but when I press the button on the drivers door nothing happens. I get a bleep and red light blink on the dash and if the engine is running I get nothing.

6. Lastly,you'll be pleased to hear, I'm having trouble locating the stereo aux in in the glove compartment. There is at the very back a circular moulding with what looks like the 3.5mm socket in the middle but it doesn't look right to me. With the stereo out it looks like the connection is there which I believe is the white block at the bottom. I can't try the socket at the moment as the dealer has ordered me a replacement 6000cd unit as the original was dead.( I have attached photos to show you)

I'd like to know if I actually have the aux in somewhere before I fit the replacement stereo so I can purchase a lead if it's not.

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks.

David.

post-69848-0-41546000-1452385132_thumb.j

post-69848-0-30382000-1452385163_thumb.j

1, 5W30 fully synthetic Magnatec and about 4.5 litres.

2, You may need to remove the scuttle panel and under panel unless you use a funnel with a flexible nozzle.

3, you'll know if the fluid is duff if the steering feels notchy.

4, Sticky switch in the latch, use plenty of WD40 and then a decent spray grease when the WD40 has done the job.

5, Can't help sorry.

6, The socket if fitted will be here-

post-28494-0-75548600-1452385910_thumb.j

If not there then no aux is fitted, you can get aftermarket cables with a 3.5 plug on the end which are far better as they don't suffer with the design fault that Ford aux sockets have (the face and back of the socket wiggle apart causing crossed pins).

The aux wires are the brown/white, grey/white, purple/white wires on your picture

Quadlock layout to assist you-

post-28494-0-26378900-1452386052_thumb.j

• Like 1

No I definitely haven't got that socket but can't understand why I seem to have the wiring at the connector end.

So just spray WD40 into the switch you mean?

BTW, those two circles on the glovebox walls are for a cooled glovebox when aircon is on.

WD40 to free off the mechanism and then grease when all dried off as the WD40 will strip off all other lubrication.

You may well find the wiring tucked up out of the way behind the glovebox liner, 4 screws top and 3 bottom under flip down covers.

There may well be 2 wires there but only one is correct (the other similar one is for a passenger airbag deactivation switch).

The one you're after-

post-28494-0-59293100-1452386484_thumb.j

The socket for the end is part (Finis) number 1365708 from any Ford parts counter.

Thanks for the link. I will buy one of those.

Sorry to be an idiot but where exactly does the connector on the cable plug into on the radio connector?

Seeing as pins 1,2,7 &8 are apparently populated on your aux pluc at the quadlock I reckon replacing the aux cable may be a non starter.

I would assume that because those pins are populated then you have the rear seat entertainment system fitted (or have that option).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-C-MAX-REAR-SEAT-ENTERTAINMENT-SYSTEM-DIGITAL-AUDIO-V2-2003-2008-/252240968951?hash=item3ababbbcf7:g:SBQAAOSwnipWZcYB

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Quadlock_Stereo_Connector_-_Facelift

No I don't have that. This is puzzling unless I can take out the glove box and find the other end of that white terminal block wiring.

Is it possible that the aux cable had been fitted at the radio end but never drilled through into the voice box and just left?

Voice? Glove I meant. !Removed! phone autocorrect!

• Like 1

Very possible.

Look for the connector in my earlier photo with the b/w, p/w, g/w cables going to it.

So it looks like if I can't find the grey 3.5mm connector dangling behind the glove box then because of the extra wire in the white socket I won't be able to have an aux in to the stereo? I also assume that this would stop me replacing the unit with an after market double din one too?

Unless the odd wire does actually control a rear media panel which I don't have in which case I should be able to swap the cable for the one you showed me on eBay?

You will be able to fit aftermarket as the adaptors go between the original quadlock connector and the new radio.

If you have no rear media unit then you should be ok.

Looking at that c block where the aux wires are I'd say that the wiring there is purely for the media kit and no cabling to the glovebox.

Still worth a quick look though just in case.

If you need a full run down on stripping the glovebox out give me a nod.

Yes that would be great if you don't mind as I'm not fantastically mechanically minded.

So if I go down the route of an aftermarket stereo it just plugs straight into the connector in my hand in the photo and it should work? Will the steering wheel controls also work too?

I'd obviously make sure I bought a stereo with an aux in on the front panel or bluetooth.

You would need the relevant cable designed for your car and the brand of radio you go for.

Most cable sets would come with the button interface box included.

OK. Thanks you've been so helpful.

I'll look first with the glove box removed and if there is no cable I might try that eBay one first to see if that works. If not it's a new stereo I guess.

Does that whole white clip in my photo detach from the main body of the connector and the new one from eBay goes in instead?

Would you mind sending me the details about removing the glove box please?

Thanks.

On the bonnet warning light side of things I have been looking elsewhere on the Internet and noticed that spraying with WD40 is mentioned a lot but one guy said don't ever do that. Funnily enough now I think about it all was good until I decided to clean the bonnet lock and catch with WD40.

He said use a contact cleaner instead. Would this clean the WD40 out and possibly help turn the light out? If so should I use it on the faulty window folding door switch too?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club