Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Oil In Car With No Dpf

Jon Bhoy

Ok i am going to be VERY cheeky here and ask a question about a non Ford car (A Renault Laguna 2.0dci sports tourer...spit spit spit) because seems most folk here are more qualified than the actual stealerships!

Its a pretty straight forward question but one i am not sure on.The GF wants me to do an oil change on her car which is usually straight forward on most cars but seems not on this one! For a start it takes 6.6l but seems there are DPF and Non DPF versions of the car over the years . Checked with Opie oil and it says it needs oild for a car WITH a DPF but then ran Renault and one partes division said he couldnt tell me and after i said that it says contact dealership to find out he said all his computers were down!! So rang another and they said it doesnt have a DPF so i am totally confused now.

What i am wondering is if i get the correct grade and get the one which is for cars with a DPF would it cause any problems putting it in a car that does not have a DPF (Think its just lower soot or something!)

I know,i feel unclean posting other business apart from Ford here but i know ford do cars with a DPF so wondered if someone would know.

Cheers folks.

Most, if not all cars with a DPF need '' low ash '' oil

• Like 1

Cheers Mark.Yep i know this but what i am asking is if i already have oil designed for use in cars with a DPF is it ok to still go ahead and use it in a diesel car that does not have a DPF.

• Like 1

I guess that the viscosity & spec of the oil is important

What year is the car ?

• Like 1

Sorry Mark forgot to put that it is a 2008 MK3 . I think it is a 5w-30 for diesel cars thats the norm.

From researching the car on the net it seems that it does have a DPF & being 2008 vintage that would make sense - especially as the Europeans introduced them before we did in the U.K.

Sorry i can't give you a definitive answer atm Jon - but i'll keep looking :)

• Like 1

Comma & other oil manufacturers websites list the car of that year & engine size as with & without a DPF . . . . :( what's the bhp output Jon ?

• Like 1

It seems that only the car manufacturer, or another car owner, may know the answer as to whether a DPF is fitted or not - try another stealer with the VIN / reg number Jon

All i can find is the same year & engined car being listed as with DPF & without DPF

• Like 1

Mark you are an absolute gent.Thank you so much for all that.I have looked and looked and got nowhere and just this sec had an email from Opie alls saying they believe that actually contrary to what Renault say that the cars do have a DPF . However i did ask him if it is ok to use the DPF oil in a non DPF car and he just answered that there is no issue at all with doing that so all is good.I was not expecting a reply from them but all done.Glad i have a ford!

Thanks very much indeed Mark.

• Like 1

Let's hope you never have to utter the R word again Jon . . . . :)

yeah, fill it with petrol and take a match to it, its the only way to be sure ;)

I cant imagine using loss ash oil will make much of a difference if it doesn't have a DPF, the focus 1.6 without DPF is exactly the same engine as the DPF equivalent and uses the same oil

if your asking does it have a DPF then the easiest way to know for sure is the road tax, if your paying plus 100 then it probably doesn't have a DPF, check out Arnold clarke for the year of the car, then check the difference between taxing, itll give you a good idea.

What do Arnold Shark know about cars . . . . . . :( ?

Nearly as bad as '' Evans above '' Halshark . . . .

lol, nothing, you are right, but they do know what tax band a car will be in, if you find out the two models, with and without DPF based on the difference in tax banding then compare that to what you pay, you will know if your car has a DPF...

assuming you cant see it under the hood...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club