Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio problems

FRAZDAZ

Hi folks, 

new to the forum but lots of fantastic content on offer! Looking for some advice, recently my focus Zetec S (2012) developed a problem with the radio display. The radio still works fine through the Speakers but there is nothing displayed on the entertainment display at all. It is completely blank. Put the car into ford and they have quoted £654 to fit a new radio! Surely there are other alternatives for me? Second hand or an aftermarket unit? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Fraz.

If you can get the part number off your screen then that may be the only bit you need to replace.

If you PM me your vin number I should be able to look up your car in microcat and work out which screen/radio modules are in your car then possibly find one on eBay for you.

Silly question but did the dealer check the connections between the radio and screen?, something may be loose.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the speedy reply mate. That's all I thought it was going to be was a loose connection but apparently not! I am just heading into town to pick up the car so I will mail you the vin number then. Thanks mate. 

I would disconnect battery for a while and see if it resets its self, there are quite a few on eBay but its critical to get the same one as the one thats in your car, normaly its the screen that plays up and not the radio unit.

• Like 2

I'll have a root for you when I finish duty tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For my 2011 the radio unit has failed... Gutted as Ford want £650 to replace and £95 for "diagnostics"

Looking on eBay for the same part number but mines seems to be the only one unavailable... If I post on here could anyone tell me if other radio units may be compatible?

9bc7afa02d6994346f18022276cb0bb8.jpg

I've found others with the last two characters of the part number different.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, F1zealot said:

For my 2011 the radio unit has failed... Gutted as Ford want £650 to replace and £95 for "diagnostics"

Looking on eBay for the same part number but mines seems to be the only one unavailable... If I post on here could anyone tell me if other radio units may be compatible?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-sony-radio-cd-player-bm5t-18c815-xf-DAB-11-15-/272062344277?hash=item3f582dec55:g:kisAAOSwv-NWXXfC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-sony-radio-cd-player-bm5t-18c815-xf-DAB-11-15-/272062344277?hash=item3f582dec55:g:kisAAOSwv-NWXXfC

Wow that's quick work, I had been overlooking the full units as they all seemed a little pricey. Was looking at the silver boxes as a standalone part for 40-60. Thanks man, might need to bite the bullet on this. 200 is far better than Ford's quote!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FRAZDAZ said:

Thanks for the speedy reply mate. That's all I thought it was going to be was a loose connection but apparently not! I am just heading into town to pick up the car so I will mail you the vin number then. Thanks mate. 

I had a look on Microcat and the screen you need is the 18c985 but from Ford would be about £470 at present plus fitting.

I have looked on eBay but no compatible ones are showing at present.

56da22338c300_mk3radioscreen1.jpg.4b7db9

17 minutes ago, F1zealot said:

Wow that's quick work, I had been overlooking the full units as they all seemed a little pricey. Was looking at the silver boxes as a standalone part for 40-60. Thanks man, might need to bite the bullet on this. 200 is far better than Ford's quote!

At least I have helped 1 out of 2 anyhow.

Pity it's not 2 for 2 :sad:

At least I have helped 1 out of 2 anyhow.

Pity it's not 2 for 2 :sad:

Do you know what there diff is between my unit and the ones with part number ending XE or XT?

13 minutes ago, F1zealot said:

Do you know what there diff is between my unit and the ones with serialise ending XE or XT?

The suffixes on the numbers usually signify different radio specs within the main compatability range.

May be lower / higher sound quality or speaker spec or even as far as to be dab, nav, usb or suchlike.

There are 44 subtypes for your radio module :blink:

• Like 1

Thanks for your help mate. I will hold off and hopefully something will come up! Just got married last week so the price ford want the Mrs won't be too pleased lol. 

• Like 1

Do you know what there diff is between my unit and the ones with serialise ending XE or XT?

The suffixes on the numbers usually signify different radio specs within the main compatability range.

May be lower / higher sound quality or speaker spec or even as far as to be dab, nav, usb or suchlike.

There are 44 subtypes for your radio module :blink:

What! That's crazy is there a list with the differences between each unit somewhere?

Are they all plug and play?

If it's only the display that's gone then I'd think any other display will work in your car so longs as the multi pin connection is the same. After all its 'only' a display. There shouldn't be any reason to change your headunit or radio/amplifier unit.

That is not true. The display is part of the audio system and must match with the other parts of the system. Installing the incorrect type of display will result in lost functionality like for example USB.

For example the older Buetooth/Voicecontrol based systems have different displays than the newer SYNC based systems. The displays look identical but are technicalyy different.

A display with a different part number can only be installed if it is based on the same system as the original display.

• Like 2

What do you mean by the older bluetooth /voice control based system?

My experience which is I got hold of a display from a different trim mk3 focus and tried it in my titanium x and it worked in that it displayed radio station and music track info but not sat nav or rear camera.. I'm not arguing but simply stating what I believe to be correct.

So going from lower spec to higher spec won't work but I believe going from higher spec to lower may just work.

The older Focus MK3 radio's that are based on the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system are technically different from the newer Focus MK3 radio's that are based on the newer SYNC 1.0 and 1.1 system. The wiring, radio module and display of these systems look identical but are not compatible. These parts can only be identified by the part number.

Basically all displays are compatible as long as they are based on the same system. My car did originally have the High Level SYNC 1.1 based radio combined with the small 3.5 Inch monochrome display. The only differences between my audio system and the original Sat Nav system are the control panel and the display. The Sat Nav functions are fully controlled by the display so after I retrofitted and configured the (correct type of) 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display and an aftermarket GPS antenna I got the original Sat Nav system working.

• Like 2

Well explained JW.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club