Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Catalytic Converter 1.6 ti-vct. Is this any good?

pky

Afternoon,

MOT time is coming around in about 7 weeks and sure enough problems start showing up. Yesterday, god what a day. Snapped armrest courtesy of the boy, a cracked windscreen out of nowhere and then to top it off I noticed a blow and a rattle from the exhaust below the driver's seat. Only noticed it after pulling out of a toll booth with the window down.

After going to a trusted independant which has had a look and the right hand side cat is rattling in its casing and it is blowing. They have quoted around £400 for the cat and exhaust manifold (maniverter) without labour.  

I had made my mind up previously if the gearbox, cat or something expensive broke then it would be scrapping time. 190,000 isnt a bad innings on a 10 year old car.

I was looking at getting a new car around October/November so was praying the old girl would see me through until then but now this needs sorting. 

Online ive seen one at buycarspares.co.uk made by 'BM Catalyists' for £159. On eurocarparts one made by React is £299.

Would I be a fool to go for the cheap one? I know I'm probably going to click buy over the weekend unless someone tells me they are junk and unlikely to pass emissions. If the car lived for another year max that would be fine. 

Just to add the car isn't misfiring at all and I've had no EML. It's possible the cat was damaged by a huge speedbump hit to fast in a fully loaded car a while back.

Thanks for the read.

17 minutes ago, artscot79 said:

Arthur, thanks mate! Going by part number it looks the same as the one from buycarspares.co.uk for £159.

From what I can find BM cats are legit and so is buycarspares.co.uk. Unless someone knows better?

Would you say it would be a couple of hours labour to fit?

book time is 1.9 hrs so your not far off.

they are good cats from what I know and fitting says about 2 hours though looking at it the most awkward part is removing the manifold from underneath if the cats still fine ide be reluctant to change it to be honest

On 11 March 2016 at 8:58 PM, artscot79 said:

they are good cats from what I know and fitting says about 2 hours though looking at it the most awkward part is removing the manifold from underneath if the cats still fine ide be reluctant to change it to be honest

Thanks Arthur, I was flapping a bit before. As long as it passes its MOT this week (due beginning of May) I'll just leave it. The rattle I can live with as it's not too bad.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club