Do Not Sell My Personal Information

replaced wipers and now they make an awful noise

mills705

My wipers have been leaving streaks for a few months so I bit the bullet and got new ones from a motor factors. 

I replaced them without any issues however the passenger side one makes a horrible noise when it reaches the bottom of the screen. I have looked and cannot see anything wrong with it but its a rather loud clunk when it comes back up. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? 

The clunk may well be the rubber flipping as it goes back over the screen, are they secure on the mounting ? Was they cheap ?

Give the front windscreen a good cleaning, scarily this is one hell of a way too clean a windscreen but works.

I always get a decent set of wipers. Bosch or something similar. The Halfrauds ones are rubbish, as are the ones you get in places like Tesco or Home Bargains.

I've had a wiper linkage go before. That's usually gradual and starts with some shudder or the blades going off the edge of the screen. As long as neither of these apply, as has been said, it's probably the blade.

Are they the correct one? Motor factors has maybe gave you wrong size, compare the old ones if you still have them. Maybe the fitment is slightly out etc (happens on some cheaper sets of wipers and gives problems.

As said they have gave you cheap crap that has been in storage for ages and the "rubber" will have hardened up.

I now usually always go for genuine ford or Bosch (about £30 for ford and £45 for Bosch for all three) and get a good year out them streak free. I work at a factory and our cars get some fallout on them now and again so I do give the car a good detailed wash every couple of weeks so maybe that will help.

its the right size- they fit perfectly in the arc of the old ones. 

They were about 30 quid for both front ones. I trust the motor factors as I have used them for years. Ill take it back so they can have a look 

12 hours ago, dave_k said:

I now usually always go for genuine ford or bosch (about £30 for ford and £45 for bosch for all three)

My first set of replace blades was from the Ford dealership, lasted me just 6 months and juddered all the time, so worst purchase ever for me :blush:

The cheap un's on eBay are.... cheap but they work and clear the windscreen on every sweep, i'm happy :wink:

3 minutes ago, m1tch said:

Are they they 'aero' blade sort?

From his profile its a 2013 car so i'd presume so, pretty all modern cars (say 2010 onwards?) seem to have aero/flat blade wipers.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club