Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo st tdci smoking on start up

leetrials

Hi was hoping someone could help me. Recently bought my mondeo runs very well apart from a start when its been left standing for few hours. It starts fine doesn't turn over for longer than usual periods before it fires but it throws out white/blue smoke and miss fires till its revved two or three times then it runs fine.

While at for 9 hours I get two breaks I start it on each of these to see if itd help but it starts fine but then itll smoke when I get in it in the morning I dont really understand it. Also some times when I put my foot down hard it leaves a substantial amount of grey smoke behind I know diesels smoke in general :)

Ive checked for fault codes using forscan recommend by a helpfull member on here as was hoping it would of picked the miss up but nothing

Ive cleaned egr and air filter/housing

Check for resistance on the glow plugs had zero on that

Theres no obvious signs of leakage anywhere around the injectors 

I thought the injectors were leaking into the cylinders but surely it would act up all of the time ive also been thicking valve stem oil seals? Really dont know what else to do with it on an extremely tight budget so cant affird to take it into a garage so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

The car has a diesel chip on the injector rail I took it off but was still the same also has a pipercross air filter I didnt put these on it.

Thanks

Lee 

I used to have one of these & a little puff of blue smoke on start up seemed quite common, especially in colder temperatures but never caused any issues in over 40,000 miles, blue smoke of course is indicative of oil being burnt, white smoke, however, is indicative of unburnt diesel passing through the combustion process & vapourising on contact with the hotter exhaust system & needs further investigation to identify the cause(s)

11 minutes ago, leetrials said:

Hi was hoping someone could help me. Recently bought my mondeo runs very well apart from a start when its been left standing for few hours. It starts fine doesn't turn over for longer than usual periods before it fires but it throws out white/blue smoke and miss fires till its revved two or three times then it runs fine.

While at for 9 hours I get two breaks I start it on each of these to see if itd help but it starts fine but then itll smoke when I get in it in the morning I dont really understand it. Also some times when I put my foot down hard it leaves a substantial amount of grey smoke behind I know diesels smoke in general :)

Ive checked for fault codes using forscan recommend by a helpfull member on here as was hoping it would of picked the miss up but nothing

Ive cleaned egr and air filter/housing

Check for resistance on the glow plugs had zero on that

Theres no obvious signs of leakage anywhere around the injectors 

I thought the injectors were leaking into the cylinders but surely it would act up all of the time ive also been thicking valve stem oil seals? Really dont know what else to do with it on an extremely tight budget so cant affird to take it into a garage so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

The car has a diesel chip on the injector rail I took it off but was still the same also has a pipercross air filter I didnt put these on it.

Thanks

Lee 

Also cleaned the maf sensor with a bit of carb cleaner

22 minutes ago, leetrials said:

Yeah it is also worse in damp conditions substantialy worse which is why I thought maybe glow plugs, its that much I cant see behind me when its started. Any idea on what I can do to test anything at home? What I was planning on was leave it over night and take the injectors out to see if I can see any fuel in the chambers but dont know if id be able to anyway willing to try anything right now to save the embarrassment nice looking car till its started I was also looking at terra clean but was advised if it is injectors it could make it worse 

I had this on my Corsa. Morning starts were very clean. But if left for a few hours, it'd chuck out loads of crap and judder, especially with a little increase in revs.

The cause was 2-fold - the ECU needed updating to hold the glow plugs on longer, especially after standing between 1 and 10 hours. And the valve stem seals were needing investigation.

Valve stem seals expand when an engine is warm but if they're worn, they'll let a small amount of oil past and into the cylinder when they cool. Where the glow plugs weren't switching on because the car was used a few hours ago, it'd belch out a plume of bluish smoke and vibrate with a few revs.

But after an overnight stand, the glow plugs would warm the pots enough to mean there was no/little blue smoke in the mornings. The blue plumes tended to be worse in the summer.

On 11/08/2016 at 7:51 AM, leetrials said:

take the injectors out to see if I can see any fuel in the chambers

I would not advise doing anything to disturb the high pressure pipework unless there is a clear need. It is normally intended for one time use, due to the high integrity metal to metal seals. And there is a risk of getting dirt or swarf into the injectors. Very small particles can damage seats and block internal orifices.

If it was stem seals, you would notice the oil level dropping. And burnt oil smells bad, different to burnt or unburnt diesel.

If you suspect the injectors, you could do a leak back test. I think there are YouTube vids of this. It might be possible to remove the glowplugs to see in the cylinders, though this may be easier said than done.

Have you checked the easy things, like all the air intake hoses from turbo via intercooler to inlet manifold, for splits & leaks?

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2016 at 2:02 AM, Tdci-Peter said:

I would not advise doing anything to disturb the high pressure pipework unless there is a clear need. It is normally intended for one time use, due to the high integrity metal to metal seals. And there is a risk of getting dirt or swarf into the injectors. Very small particles can damage seats and block internal orifices.

If it was stem seals, you would notice the oil level dropping. And burnt oil smells bad, different to burnt or unburnt diesel.

If you suspect the injectors, you could do a leak back test. I think there are YouTube vids of this. It might be possible to remove the glowplugs to see in the cylinders, though this may be easier said than done.

Have you checked the easy things, like all the air intake hoses from turbo via intercooler to inlet manifold, for splits & leaks?

Hi apologies it's taken a while to reply had family problems. 

I have checked the hoses around turbo they look ok and same around intercooler. It's getting substantially worse now the weather is getting cold it's cutting out straight away on start up the second attempt if I rev it it'll idle but it's very lumpy for few seconds with alot of white smoke. 

I've tried to unplug the solenoid for ger to see if it could be an electrical problem but was still the same also. Also replaced air filter for a standard one. One thing I have noticed on no3 injector there's a bit of what I think is diesel as if I blow on it it ripples looks too thick to be oil 

On 02/10/2016 at 2:22 AM, leetrials said:

now the weather is getting cold it's cutting out straight away on start up the second attempt if I rev it it'll idle but it's very lumpy for few seconds with alot of white smoke.

Another source of white smoke is engine coolant. If there was a small leak, so a little coolant got into the combustion chambers when switched off & left, then this would boil off during the 1st minute or so after a start. But I guess you have checked the coolant level?

A diesel leak near an injector would need fixing. It could be from the high pressure port, or the leak-off (return) port, or even the injector body. If the injector seals to the cylinder head leak, you can usually hear this when idling. But very small leaks here would not normally cause smoke.

Low fuel pressure will cause bad starting, lumpy running & smoke (due to oil droplet size too big).

Forscan can monitor Fuel rail pressure. This usually needs to be at least 200Bar (20,000 kPa) at cranking speed, and 300 to 600 Bar (30,000 to 60,000 kPa) when idling. But there a lot of causes for low pressure:

Air leaking into fuel system, at or near the filter.

Blocked fuel filter.

Faulty pressure regulator and / or flow regulator valve(s) in the pump.

Faulty / worn pump.

Excess leak-off flow from the injectors.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club