Do Not Sell My Personal Information

U1900 - Engine light on

DanielleC

Hi I was directed to this site from another forum. Looking for any help/advice/knowledge that anyone can give really!

Someone went into the back of my car last month, insurance dealt with it - car received a new bumper + passenger side panel. 2 days after I got the car back, I had the brakes changed as they were squealing. A friend who is a mechanic did this for me. Couple days after this my engine light come in. System engine failure. Now this was around a week ago.

Fault code is reading U1900 Which my understanding now means practically nothing. At first the fault was erasing now it's just stuck on pending. Tried with 2 different readers for same result. No other codes.

Since the engine light come on the car is throwing out all types of errors, nothing consistent, all random. ABS light showing occasionally, engine light on most (but not all) of the day, I've had speed limited, acceleration limited, power steering failure, engine system failure - though none of these seem to be 'true'. ie, the car is still driving completely fine. At least it is when it starts.

It's not been starting for anything up to an hour in the mornings, I've had 4 days off work because the car won't start. When the car has been driven for a while (few hours) the engine light goes off, I assume because it's warmer, and I have no issues with it starting or driving.

The speedo also keeps crashing whenever a light pops on this is particularly common on speed bumps.

I'm leaning towards bad electrics somewhere, the fuses are all fine, I've checked as many wires as I can do myself, all seems OK.

I've had the battery checked and it's fine, 558 on a 570 battery. There is a lose wire towards my rear fog light (where I got hit) and it's not working, so I will go buy a new bulb today and see if it's the wire or the bulb.

I'm planning on checking out behind the instrumental panel today, but I'm not sure what to expect. Quotes for car electricians are  beyond crazy. It's a 2005 focus, just hit 90k miles.

Is there any advice on what this could be?

Thanks

It sounds like an instrument cluster fault tbh, not sure you can fix it yourself as it's usually bad soldering on the circuit board I believe.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DanielleC said:

Is there any advice on what this could be?

Like Tom says, it is (99% likely) the classic 2005/6 Focus Instrument cluster (IC) problem. It is happening to almost every Focus of that vintage.

I fixed it for £0.00, but I have electronics / soldering experience.

Getting the IC out is quite easy in principle, just 2 bolts, but the top is clipped firmly into the facsia, and needs easing out with care as the transparent front is fragile. If you can get it out, there are places offering a repair for about £100.

My fix, with some removal & test details:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

A repair company:

Any help? Please let us know how you get on.

Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I had a £480 quote from a garage (in principle over the phone) if that turned out to be the problem. So I've had a look and can take it out, I see on the internet their is many places who you can send it off too, they'll fix it and send it back, around £100 like you say. My worry with this is 2 things ..

I'm a Carer so I'm screwed without my car like it is, but I'm even more screwed if I send it off to a company and it then takes weeks to come back. It's a long time off work.

And second - what if I take it off, send it too them and (my luck) it's not even that?! I think £100 to find out is a good deal, but without the car I'm losing £100 a day on top. Could it end up cheaper to just go to the garage? 

I wonder if any places can do same day if I've any local. I will google. Doesn't seem fair if it's more of a factory thing, it should be on ford to fix. 

Thanks, will update when I know more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanielleC said:

I'm a Carer so I'm screwed without my car like it is, but I'm even more screwed if I send it off to a company and it then takes weeks to come back.

I see your dilemma. It is frustrating!

The most common fault that fits your description is the HS-CAN bus pins on the connector on the IC. And this is a really easy fault to track down, and pretty easy to fix.

A simple resistance measurement at the diagnostic connector can confirm that this is the fault. If so, then anyone with a tiny bit of soldering experience could fix it.

Got any friends or local businesses who have and can use a multimeter?

If the fault is some more complex component, then the £480 garage price (if firm) does not sound so bad. Though £800 to £900 is normal for a new IC.

But for one resistance test and a simple bit of soldering, it is horrendous.

If you phone or email a repair company, they may be able to guarantee a turn around (fixed if simple, returned for garage replacement if not). If think 80% or more likely it will be the simple fix.

Peter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club