Do Not Sell My Personal Information

59 Focus Glovebox Aux Socket

hiace_drifter

Hi folks. The aux socket in my 59 Focus glovebox has a loose connection ... every so often my ipod stops the music because it thinks the cable has been detached. I'm guessing it is either the socket itself, or the cable from behind the socket to the headunit.

Whilst we're at it the socket is in a stupid place as it needs the glovebox open otherwise the cable gets squashed when the door shuts!

So, which bit most likely needs replacing - socket or cable? Is the best bet to run a new cable from the head unit down to the centre console somewhere, and forget the glovebox socket altogether?

I had a look on eBay and could only find one socket replacement ... in Hungary! (photo attached)

socket.jpg

You can find the socket here

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_aux-in_socket_2005-2008_f_1310208_c_479.htm

It's cheap enough that you can just buy it and see if it fixes the problem (if not it's probably the cable)

Video added for anyone looking to install the socket if they don't already have one

You can get right angled aux cables, and if you run it out of the bottom you shouldn't get it caught

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Micro said:

You can get right angled aux cables, and if you run it out of the bottom you shouldn't get it caught

Who's bottom!?!?!?! Will that involve assembly paste!?!?!

• Like 3

Bypass the standard aux socket completely.
It's a poor design and prone to crossed channels because the front and back parts move apart causing misalignment of the pins in relation to the 3.5 cables being plugged in.
Get an aux cable with a 3.5 on the end and run it out under the demister switch panel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2017-5-12 at 9:19 AM, Stoney871 said:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252897954457

Cheers. Will get one. So that connects to back of head unit? 

In the meantime anyone know how to remove old socket? Looks like it should split into two halves or pinch to release...

14946728098041190247820.jpg

There are 2 small rectangular slots inside the rear of the unit that you need to put small screwdrivers into.
58c099ff05fad_UnclippingAuxSocketParts.jpg.d6c6a5551375e9cdcbdcff2b6366c6782.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-12 at 8:17 AM, Stoney871 said:

Bypass the standard aux socket completely.
It's a poor design and prone to crossed channels because the front and back parts move apart causing misalignment of the pins in relation to the 3.5 cables being plugged in.
Get an aux cable with a 3.5 on the end and run it out under the demister switch panel.

The cable has finally arrived from Outer Mongolia :)

• When I disconnect the old cable (that runs to the glove box) will that just pull out or is it likely to be zip tied behind the dashboard?
  • Do I need to remove the demister switch panel to run the cable down there?
  • What's the recommended way of getting the cable out through the demister switch area? Find a gap? Drill a hole? Remove a blanking plate?

Thanks folks.

• Like 1

The original cable is probably combined obto the radio loom bundle, just unplug it and tape back onto the loom to avoid rattles.
To run the new cable behind the switch panel you only need to loosen the torx screws a few turns and then slip the wire in to come out under the bottom edge.
You can temporarily remove a blank if need be or buy a modified blank that has an aux socket built in.

Right, what a palava!

As a quick fix I tried to separate the socklet as per the diagram from Stoney871. No luck. Not sure if I'm supposed to push, wiggle in, or wiggle out, or what, but I can't get the socket apart.

So, I then tried to fit a new cable from the back of the head unit down to the air vents:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361900286281?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That doesnt fit the back of my head unit!

I have attached photos of standard cable that goes into my head unit, the socket on my head unit, and the  plug on the cable that doesnt fit.

I have now ordered a different cable ... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181442971799?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The plug on that looks a bit smaller. so I guess there are two different versions of the 6000CD head unit!

IMG_20170614_184524398.jpg

IMG_20170614_184550466.jpg

IMG_20170614_195538488.jpg

• Like 1

Umm that looks like the lower right plug in the loom. Can't you swap them over?

Or have I missed something?

11 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Umm that looks like the lower right plug in the loom. Can't you swap them over?

Or have I missed something?

The pins are right, but the plastic head is a bit too big .... grrrrr

13 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

The pins are right, but the plastic head is a bit too big .... grrrrr

Ahh yeah I can see now the body of the plug is a bit bigger. There's more plastic surrounding the pins. That's a bugger.

Hope your replacement is the right one, though if it only goes to a 3.5mm socket, couldn't you just cut and splice the cable to a working socket or even a 3.5 stereo plug? It'd only be 2 plus earth inside...?

Yes, Same fit.
If you look at my guides link there's one for fitting it plus turning the usb into a charging port for phones etc.

Great stuff, looks straightforward enough.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club