Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has just fell off my car!?

conizme

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is doing well. 

Sorry if this is a bit of a long one,

I have decided to post an issue on here as I'm not aware of anybody else more helpful in regards to diagnosing issues, and I have a bit of a strange one. 

So the story begins recently, with my Focus 1.6 TDCI (MK3). (105,000 miles on the clock) 

I was going home from work as I do everyday, I got in my car, started it absolutely fine (like always), and drove away. The first sign of problem began where about 5 miles into the journey, I noticed quite a violent judder through the steering wheel, pedals and seat, which felt to me like the car was going to stall. I had the radio up quite loud (a sunny day, who can blame me) and because of this did not hear any strange engine noises. 

I arrived home, the problem still in place which is where upon turning the radio down, I could hear my car was really not well. 

A very loud ticking/knocking had developed. 

Not really knowing where to start I popped the bonnet and had a look around with the engine still running, and managed to narrow down the ticking/knocking to the left hand side of the engine (from where I was stood, same side as the alternator). 

I turned the car off (bit of a squeak when the engine stopped) and hoped in vain the problem wouldn't present itself before I could get it to a garage to do some proper diagnostics. 

Later on in the evening with the car still warm I tried to start it again to show the issue to a friend who had a bit more knowledge with this kind of thing, but the car just would barely crank, sounding like a dead battery (we tried to jump start it from his car, absolutely no better). The cabin filled with the smell of burning after about a minute of trying, and smoke started to rise from the engine bay. 

We managed to narrow this smoke down to the alternator (we think?) or very close to this area, where upon the car finally starting, the ticking came back very loudly, and for want of a better word, the car started to sound like it was eating itself. 

This is when the item in the attached photos shot out the bottom of the car onto the floor. 

I imagine this thing is the key to figuring out what is actually wrong with the car, or helping pinpoint the troubled area, but I just cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. The one side as you can see in the photo is covered in grease, and looks like something has been spinning against it. it also has a rubber seal around the outside (on the non greased side), with what looks like heat fractures. 

The piece was very warm when it fell off the car (not 5 seconds after it starting). 

Again, sorry about the long post guys, hoping somebody can provide some insight! 

Thank you in advance! 

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Could that be an engine bung?
Is their any leaks?
Check belts to see if their not damaged snapped etc.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

thats the crank pulley cover. the crank damper pulley could have broken up. 

58 minutes ago, yunii said:

Could that be an engine bung?
Is their any leaks?
Check belts to see if their not damaged snapped etc.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Yunii, 

No leaks to speak of that I can see or hear, checked the oil, still exactly where i left it when I changed it about 1000 miles ago. Belts seem ok, no cracks but its a bit difficult to see properly. 

Engine cover/bung was my thought too, just where from lol 

54 minutes ago, iantt said:

thats the crank pulley cover. the crank damper pulley could have broken up. 

Thanks for your reply iantt, 

Its about an inch and a half across, pretty small item, does this sound about the right size? 

If you're right, what other symptoms should I be looking out for? 

Thank you

may be not then, crank pully cover is larger , more like 4 ins across. i dont know what it is now. im trying to visualise your engine bay items. will have another guess in a bit.

ah! looks like it could be the bung for the alternator pulley. found an image of alternator that showed a bung fitted.

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

ah! looks like it could be the bung for the alternator pulley. found an image of alternator that showed a bung fitted.

Really appreciating the effort iantt, top man 

That would explain the smoke coming off the alternator maybe? I can grab a new pulley, and new belt while i'm at it, just not sure why its fell off lol

Hope there isn't a serious underlying issue. 

Edit: Not sure if this further confirms or if this is a placebo but to my nose the item smells very "electrical".. almost like an antiseptic cream smell (think Savlon). I have no idea if that makes sense or even matters! (this is the same smell the car filled with when trying to start it before) 

59 minutes ago, iantt said:

1496498744987.jpg

I think you may have cracked it! 

Looks like I have found the exact source, with a photo of an "overrunning alternator pulley", where you can clearly see the part that's fell off (albeit a lot cleaner lol) 

Is this thing part of the pulley you posted a photo of? or a separate part entirely? I'm trying to locate an exploded engine diagram or something! 

Your help is much appreciated! 

s-l500.jpg

yeh, thats the alternator pulley and cover. im betting the alternator has siezed up or is siezing up. you need to remove the belt and check. as you can see from the earlier image its easy enough to do

• Like 1

"I can grab a new pulley, and new belt while i'm at it, just not sure why its fell off lol" . I'm with Iantt on this one, it does sound like the alternator had a problem (eg. bearing seizing up) and the pulley being the weakest point has suffered. - from heat as the belt is sliding round the pulley . So a new pulley /belt is not enough, most likely whole new alternator.

on my old focus the bearing on the spring loaded tensioner seized and the plastic pulley on the tensioner melted and broke up.

3 hours ago, iantt said:

yeh, thats the alternator pulley and cover. im betting the alternator has siezed up or is siezing up. you need to remove the belt and check. as you can see from the earlier image its easy enough to do

I have taken the belt off, started the car and all is well, in fact it sounds healthier than it did when the alternator was "working". 

New alternator has been ordered, as well as a new belt as this one looks like its due for replacement. 

Timing kit too while I'm down there. 

Thank you for your help iantt, you're a lifesaver. 

edit: Thank you too isetta, I did not notice your response until I posted this! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club