Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sloping Drive - How practical to work on the car?

Albert27

Hi guys,

We are thinking of moving and the house we're looking at has a bock paved sloping drive (highest point at road side, then slopes down to house).  It's not a 1 in 4 type hill but enough to make you have the handbrake on a fairly high notch.  How practical would it be to work on the car with the usual maintenance jobs using ramps & axle stands?  Do any of you work on drives like that?

Appreciate your thoughts......

Most will say no but I quite often do use a sloping driveway for all sorts of work. General servicing, suspension, brakes and even changed a few engines on it.

if I'm doing work like brake pipes I will put the car in nose first (drive slopes away from house) and put the back wheels up on a set of ramps which helps level it out a little but also keeps it more stable than 4 axle stands.

• Like 2

My drive is sloping which is handy when changing the oil as the front is up in the air to alloe access to drain plug and oil filter but the car is level so I can do the whole job including toping up oil b4 i drop it down again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Albert27 said:

How practical would it be to work on the car with the usual maintenance jobs using ramps & axle stands?  Do any of you work on drives like that?

My drive also slopes. I like it, I just chock the axle I am not lifting, take the brake off to let it firmly down onto the chocks (just bricks usually!), and then the chocks and car are very firmly locked in place by the weight. Just make sure both wheels are well jammed.

I prefer to lift the front axle with the handbrake off, then the car can rotate around the rear axle, with the rear wheels staying still on the ground. Then put the handbrake on maybe for extra security when working.

I would not want to work on a sideways slope, or try to lift all four wheels. But it works well for one axle at a time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club