Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake caliper cylinder wind back

spaceprobe

Hi all,

I need to buy a brake piston wind-back tool.

Does anyone know the pitch of the holes in the piston? I've seen the tools on eBay for reasonable monies, but they come n a vast array of sizes. Centres of pins I've seen advertised as "suitable for Ford" are 22mm, 24mm, 25mm, 35mm.

Does anyone know the distance between the centres of the holes for Focus Mk2 (2006)? It would save me from having to take it apart to have a look then fail to get it back together cos I can't wind the piston in.

Sam.

32 minutes ago, spaceprobe said:

Hi all,

I need to buy a brake piston wind-back tool.

Does anyone know the pitch of the holes in the piston? I've seen the tools on ebay for reasonable monies, but they come n a vast array of sizes. Centres of pins I've seen advertised as "suitable for Ford" are 22mm, 24mm, 25mm, 35mm.

Does anyone know the distance between the centres of the holes for Focus Mk2 (2006)? It would save me from having to take it apart to have a look then fail to get it back together cos I can't wind the piston in.

Sam.

I had this problem but unfortunately I'd taken it to bits and got the wrong size 'laser wind back tool'.  Best bet is to get one of these - it has most sizes and has worked great on my focus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-22pc-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Rewind-Tool-Kit-Set-Auto-Wind-Back-Car-/161527378395?epid=522431947&hash=item259bc831db:g:3RkAAOSwBLlVTLAT

Thanks for replying.

I've seen those sets and did think about getting one, but it seems like massive overkill for me - I'll only be doing my own repairs. If I could find out the size I can get a tool for about a third of that money.

Any chance you can measure the pins on the plate you use for your Focus?

Many thanks,
Sam.

Measure A or B in my diagram...

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 15.46.24.png

1 hour ago, spaceprobe said:

Thanks for replying.

I've seen those sets and did think about getting one, but it seems like massive overkill for me - I'll only be doing my own repairs. If I could find out the size I can get a tool for about a third of that money.

Any chance you can measure the pins on the plate you use for your Focus?

Many thanks,
Sam.

Measure A or B in my diagram...

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 15.46.24.png

I've got a feeling the front and rear are different sizes but i think someone did measure them for me in a different thread.  I will post the link because I can't be sure which I used from the set.  You could look at it as a longer term investment especially if you change your car in the future.  

A quote from the thread when I asked for rear size  - "My windback tool has pins on about 20mm (centers) spacing. It is a simple plate that allows a 10mm a/f socket to turn the piston, see photo."

Thread link - 

Second page, comment by TDCi-peter with picture of the pins...

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Albert27.

Thanks for all your help. I've ordered the kit like the one you got to save messing about.

This sort of thing has been annoying me lately - you'd think, in this age of information, the info I need wouldn't be too difficult to track down. I think there's a lot of deliberate obfuscation because information is money. This is why we need these formus!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spaceprobe said:

Thanks, Albert27.

Thanks for all your help. I've ordered the kit like the one you got to save messing about.

This sort of thing has been annoying me lately - you'd think, in this age of information, the info I need wouldn't be too difficult to track down. I think there's a lot of deliberate obfuscation because information is money. This is why we need these formus!

Well done mate :thumbup1: These forums are great.  Knew nothing about cars when i joined 10 months ago! Have learnt so much in that time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club