Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Need advice on tyres. Anything wrong if installing wider?


D!str0
 Share

Recommended Posts

So i am in a need of help. I must change my tyres immediately. I currently have Goodyear efficient grip 205/50/r17. My options are. Uniroyal rainsport 3 at 205/50/r17 costing 400 euros  or another tyre seller said that i can install Continental sportcontact 6 but at 225/45/r17 costing 400 euros! He said that 205/50 /r17 is a dimension that don't usually sold that's is more expensive than a wider Continental tyre at 225/45. I asked if i will have any problems installing a wider tyre and except a small increase at fuel consumption there nothing else wrong. Anyone with an advice? Anyone that have installed a wide tyre?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the number of Foci on the road, I'd say it's a load of rubbish about them not usually being sold in that size.

I'd stick with the same size, wider tyres could rub the arches and won't sit on the rim quite right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In general, manufacturers standard cars are fitted with a compromise size tyre to produce, for example, reasonable handling, ride comfort, maintenance costs and mpg. Better tyres are usually fitted to performance orientated versions of that car, hence wider tread width, lower profile walls etc., where the requirements for better handling and road holding override concerns for ride comfort and less mpg.

In the case of 205/50/17 v 225/45/17, the 225/45/17 has a slightly smaller diameter. You concern should be the extra 10 mm tread projecting inwards towards the suspension, and the extra 10 mm tread projecting towards the wheel arch.

If it were me, I would get the tyre seller to fit the larger size to one wheel and try it on both front and rear positions to check the actual clearances all around (including when the suspension is under load and steering on full locks).

If you are going to fit them, firstly check that the wheel rim width is suitable and also check with your insurance company for any potential cost increase, as you will be modifying the car.

My only experience with doing a similar change of tyres, was on a 150 bhp Cavalier Gsi, where the wider tread eliminated the previous torque steer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YOG said:

In general, manufacturers standard cars are fitted with a compromise size tyre to produce, for example, reasonable handling, ride comfort, maintenance costs and mpg. Better tyres are usually fitted to performance orientated versions of that car, hence wider tread width, lower profile walls etc., where the requirements for better handling and road holding override concerns for ride comfort and less mpg.

In the case of 205/50/17 v 225/45/17, the 225/45/17 has a slightly smaller diameter. You concern should be the extra 10 mm tread projecting inwards towards the suspension, and the extra 10 mm tread projecting towards the wheel arch.

If it were me, I would get the tyre seller to fit the larger size to one wheel and try it on both front and rear positions to check the actual clearances all around (including when the suspension is under load and steering on full locks).

If you are going to fit them, firstly check that the wheel rim width is suitable and also check with your insurance company for any potential cost increase, as you will be modifying the car.

My only experience with doing a similar change of tyres, was on a 150 bhp Cavalier Gsi, where the wider tread eliminated the previous torque steer.

I don't think any dealer would let me test a tyre. I will probably gonna stick to 205/50/r17 dimensions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 tyre size 225-45-17 is a popular alternative for tyre size 205-50-17. Tyre size 205-50-17 is used on very few car models these days. Because of this 205-50-17 became a bit rare. Tyre size 225-45-17 is more common and usually cheaper than the same 205-50-17 sized tyre.

Depending on wheel design Ford used both 6.5 Inch and 7 Inch wide alloy wheels on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. In my opion tyre size 225-45-17 should only be used if the car has 7 Inch wide alloy wheels. 6.5 Inch wide alloy wheels are in my opinion too small for this tyre size. 

 

Rubbing is not an issue. Tyre size 225-45-17 will not rub at all if mounted on original Ford alloy wheels with an offset of 50 mm or 52.5 mm.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 tyre size 225-45-17 is a popular alternative for tyre size 205-50-17. Tyre size 205-50-17 is used on very few car models these days. Because of this 205-50-17 became a bit rare. Tyre size 225-45-17 is more common and usually cheaper than the same 205-50-17 sized tyre.

Depending on wheel design Ford used both 6.5 Inch and 7 Inch wide alloy wheels on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. In my opion tyre size 225-45-17 should only be used if the car has 7 Inch wide alloy wheels. 6.5 Inch wide alloy wheels are in my opinion too small for this tyre size. 

 

Rubbing is not an issue. Tyre size 225-45-17 will not rub at all if mounted on original Ford alloy wheels with an offset of 50 mm or 52.5 mm.  

Is there any way for me to find out what rim dimension i have? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget you'll need to tell your insurers that you've changed tyre sizes so any cost saving on using cheaper tyres may be eaten up by increased insurance premiums.

Also where abouts are you? Your location says Argyll but you mention Euros.

I only ask as Blackcircles.com show that tyres in your size are about £83 a corner fitted for an Avon ZV7, which is an excellent tyre...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iFocus said:

Don't forget you'll need to tell your insurers that you've changed tyre sizes so any cost saving on using cheaper tyres may be eaten up by increased insurance premiums.

Also where abouts are you? Your location says Argyll but you mention Euros.

I only ask as Blackcircles.com show that tyres in your size are about £83 a corner fitted for an Avon ZV7, which is an excellent tyre...

I live at Greece. When i registered i couldn't choose country only UK location. I have ordered uniroyal rainsport 3 205/50/r17 at 400 euros. I don't wanna mess with the dimensions. Thank for your interest mate! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, D!str0 said:

When i registered i couldn't choose country only UK location

As you can see, Wilco is registered as 'Other/NonUK' so that must be an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, mjt said:

As you can see, Wilco is registered as 'Other/NonUK' so that must be an option.

Sorry didn't see that. Now fixed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership