Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ST-3 running hot

Alcpone

Hi,

After I park up my new ST-3 it feels like the engine is rather hot, I have popped the bonnet to feel the residual heat and it appears a tad hot. The fan stayed on for a minute or so just before but hasn't before I don't think. It only has 100 miles on the clock, I am not driving it hard, I am letting it warm up for a minute or so before pulling off and letting it run for a minute or so after parking up and very easy on it 5 mins before arrival at destination to allow for more cooling. The temp gauge is in the middle and it is running well. Anyone else think their new ST was running hot during the run in phase? It has the mountune stage 1 map on it, could this have anything to do with it?

Cheers,

Alex

The engine is supposed to be hot? Ecoboosts in particular run quite hot compared to their NA predecessors.

The middle of the temp gauge is about 90 deg C.

Your skin burns around 40-50.

as above, Ecoboosts run hotter than NA engines. - my 1.6 Ecoboost will run as normal, operating at ideal running temp on the gauge but yet will put the fans on after short drive; my friends is the same. Ford say this is normal.

Don't forget, turbo charged engines (known for producing large amounts of heat anyway) be it 1.0, 1.6, 2.0, 2.3 are crammed into these smaller engine bays with little venting or places for the heat to dissipate, and are covered with quite a thick bonnet lining. All are to encourage quicker warm up times from cold start but do very little to help relieve the engine bay of heat. Many owners install RS vents (nice mod) or bonnet lifters (illegal) to help and for piece of mind.

If youre still concerned after a couple weeks, keep an eye on the gauges and if it starts to develop a problem, get it back to Ford as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The engine is supposed to be hot? Ecoboosts in particular run quite hot compared to their NA predecessors.

The middle of the temp gauge is about 90 deg C.

Your skin burns around 40-50.

Yes the engine is meant to be hot, just seemed a little on the hot side from what I was used to with my previous car and with the fan kicking in after not really a hot day and not driving it hard I was a tad concerned. 😁

6 hours ago, Tomson said:

as above, Ecoboosts run hotter than NA engines. - my 1.6 Ecoboost will run as normal, operating at ideal running temp on the gauge but yet will put the fans on after short drive; my friends is the same. Ford say this is normal.

Don't forget, turbo charged engines (known for producing large amounts of heat anyway) be it 1.0, 1.6, 2.0, 2.3 are crammed into these smaller engine bays with little venting or places for the heat to dissipate, and are covered with quite a thick bonnet lining. All are to encourage quicker warm up times from cold start but do very little to help relieve the engine bay of heat. Many owners install RS vents (nice mod) or bonnet lifters (illegal) to help and for piece of mind.

If youre still concerned after a couple weeks, keep an eye on the gauges and if it starts to develop a problem, get it back to Ford as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

Helps alot. Thanks, I feel abit more reassured it's running normally.

I'm just waiting to get some miles on it so I can open her up 😀

Sitting idling fir a minute before switching off isn't going to help cool it down either, 

youre driving a road car on the road, not a race car on a track, get in start up and when ready pull away and drive normally, when you stop let the revs drop to idle and switch off. Don't thrash it until the engines up to temp, that's engine oil not coolant , obviously there's no guage or indicator for oil temp but 10 mins of driving shoul be ok, sitting on the drive won't help this though,. Don't turn the engine off after driving flat out and still at 6000 rpm.

you can still "open her up" while still following the Ford running in procedure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club