Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moving USB/DAB Leads from Last Owner

mholt1995

Previous owner to me had this funky little DAB receiver which connects via AUX and has a USB lead and DAB aerial that connect to it. (Anyone is welcome to the actual unit itself!)

xCH3YTd.jpg

Once it's all together it works rather nicely but I'm actually intending on putting a DAB enabled head unit in my Focus.

Unfortunately, the leads are currently coming out of the driver side trim.

7cbFKHL.jpg

Which leads me on to how I would

a) Move the DAB aerial lead into the back of the housing for the head unit

b) Move/remove the USB cable (I have no idea how it's connected to the existing wiring, though I may well end up using it for a dashcam at a later date).

Due to how it's routed, how likely is it that this would be a full dash out job?

To gain access to the area whwere the cables are run you are best off removing the lower dash panel.

Pull off the rubber door seal to the right of the dash, it doesn't have to come off all the way, just far enough off to clear to above the dash level.

In the cubby where the OBD port is mounted is a Torx screw, undo this and then you can pull the lower trim off.

a.jpg.36595086b54d607e1c43dbd76b3457fe.jpg

Take care to not yank the cables attached to the OBD port, you can pop the port out so the trim can be removed fully so as to allow unobstructed access to the lower dash area.

The port is held in by a strong metal clip, push the tabs outwards and the port will push out (three hands may be needed).

b.jpg.a73a3cb7f0bfedd8bfbbaea77a7875d4.jpg

With the trim is out of the way you should be able to trace the route of the cables more accurately and also have access to loosen other dash screws if you need to unhook the cables from behind other mounting points or clamps.

When refitting the dash panel make sure that you relocate the mounting tabs into their slots correctly so the panel will clip back properly.

c.jpg.c0b6d5fa6c96ed3025ac7cb2c8050fa8.jpg

You may find that you will either have to replace the DAB aerial cable or buy adaptors to match different connectors used by radio manufacturers (Fakra type, etc).

If you plan to install an original Ford DAB radio then I have a guide for that-

• Like 2

You're the man Stoney!

Your advice worked beautifully with regards to accessing the leads, though that's now the least of my issues.

LQeFaYn.jpg

Trim off
1eSLYrM.jpg

More trim off and cable unraveled from it's folding over, tons of it!
iIjCh3m.jpg

Started following the USB lead to a car charger of some description, a few cable ties and what I imagine to be a 12V port.
3BneRYk.jpg

The port then trails becomes a red cable and god knows where it goes from there :(
vPI1p9Z.jpg

Can't say I'm overly looking forward to the next step!

• Like 1

I'd say the cable either goes to a wiretap off the existing 12v feed at the standard socket or a fusetap at the footwell fusebox.
At least you have a handy socket to run any camera adaptor that you get in a kit.
Saves you some extra work in the long run [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 02/09/2017 at 9:26 PM, mholt1995 said:

Previous owner to me had this funky little DAB receiver which connects via AUX and has a USB lead and DAB aerial that connect to it. (Anyone is welcome to the actual unit itself!)

xCH3YTd.jpg

Once it's all together it works rather nicely but I'm actually intending on putting a DAB enabled head unit in my Focus.

Unfortunately, the leads are currently coming out of the driver side trim.

7cbFKHL.jpg

Which leads me on to how I would

a) Move the DAB aerial lead into the back of the housing for the head unit

b) Move/remove the USB cable (I have no idea how it's connected to the existing wiring, though I may well end up using it for a dashcam at a later date).

Due to how it's routed, how likely is it that this would be a full dash out job?

i would like the unit will you post it how much you want cheers pete am in e14 london 

7 hours ago, ronnie12342003 said:

i would like the unit will you post it how much you want cheers pete am in e14 london 

Whatever it costs me to post, drop me a PM :)

Won't be coming with leads and an aerial though for obvious reasons!

And we have a result!

Found the DAB lead was conveniently routed behind the head unit so removing the part of the dash from before and pulling it through has managed to have the aerial in prime position for my new head unit.

USB charging lead was cable tied and taped to a 12V socket, socket is still there but minus the charger so all nice and tidy now :)

Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club