Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing.

Aaron_Skilton

Anyone had a look into servicing recently?? I signed up for the service club as it seemed a good deal. I have a 2013 Focus ST. About 100 off over a few years and free MOTs. But all I am hearing about is the 150 motorcraft service. Which would make my 24ppm service plan seem expensive. And info is welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

just break down the numbers for a simple comparison

service plan including MOT  ; 12 x £24 per mth =  £288 per year

OR

motorcraft basic service £150 + MOT £45 = £195 per year

although every 3 years you'll need a major service which im guessing will be around £200

so if we look at cost over 3 years.......

service plan                                                        £864

annual servicing plus separate MOT              £635

so it just depends if any extra benefits of the service plan are worth the additional £230 over 3 years.......

over to you............  ;-)

What is included in a basic service nowadays?  If its just an oil and filter change that's about £30 DIY and the rest you pay to the dealer buys you a checklist full of ticks or the occasional cross for which they try to sell you additional work for "wear" items.  No wonder their premises are so bright and shiny the amount of money they make from the servicing racket.

BTW biff, I think your numbers are a bit out for the annual servicing plus annual MOT - should be £785 not £635 if  you are adding in £200 for the major service every 3 years.

I bought a service Plan a couple of months ago, not Ford's own,  but from a large well known dealership. The services are to Ford specification. Cost for a new car varies from length of contract and engine size. Mine was £499 for the first 4 services plus the first 2 MOT's.

They also do plans for older cars

1 hour ago, south_bound said:

BTW biff, I think your numbers are a bit out for the annual servicing plus annual MOT - should be £785 not £635 if  you are adding in £200 for the major service every 3 years.

my numbers are exactly right

year 1   £150 minor service + £45 mot   = 195

year 2    £150 minor service + £45 mot = 195

year 3     £200 major service + £45 mot = 245

total  £635

Ah, OK sorry about that - I added £200 to the total but a major service would obviously replace a standard one:wallbash:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, south_bound said:

What is included in a basic service nowadays?  

According to the website a Motorcraft £149 service

oil and filter change, 30 point eCHECK, Antifreeze check and top up, Brake fluid check and top up, Windscreen washer check and top up, Check and adjust tyre pressures, Battery check, Reset service light, Wash and Vac, Steering check, Visual alignment check, Brake check (wheels off), Check and advise on transmission oil level, Pollen or Air filter change
The interior or air filter is included in Ford Motorcraft service. Replacement of both filters is optional and will result in an additional cost.

The check list seems to have progressed from ticks on a bit of paper to electronic clicks. If the parts/oil cost £40 and the vat is £25 it would leave about £85 for labour.

Thanks for digging that out - I apologise unreservedly to Ford...it includes the oil,/filter, electronic ticks on a checklist AND a wash/vac, worth every penny (but I could still do all that DIY for £30 and an hour of my time).

ignore the marketing blurb as i guarantee that the cabin pollen filter wont get changed lol

its a back breaking job and 99% of car owners will never check it.

it will come as no surprise i fall into the 1% category.  :-D

• Haha 2

Pollen filter isn't that bad...particularly when you have a ramp!  The techs get it down to seconds on the Focus from what I've heard. :tongue: 

Surely the point of dealer servicing after warranty expiry is for people that can't do it themselves, either due to health/mobility or lack of time due to work and other commitments.  Obviously it sounds horrendously expensive to those of that can and do do it ourselves...  Also remember that Ford services give you 'free' breakdown cover for a year, so you can take the price of your separate breakdown cover away from it.

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Also remember that Ford services give you 'free' breakdown cover for a year, so you can take the price of your separate breakdown cover away from it.

That's another one that I don't buy into, even with a 10 year old car that I maintain myself.  All the years I haven't paid for breakdown recovery cover would more than cover the cost of a call-out if it is ever needed, its called self-insurance.  That getting off topic so I'll stop there.

That's a good point about garages not changing filters when they think the customer won't even notice.  I used to mark my oil filter before taking it (when they were the older metal canister ones) in to make sure it was changed after noticing once that it hadn't been done.  That's one of the things that pushed me to do it myself, at least I know it is done, and properly.  The other advantage of doing it yourself is that you get familiar with how things should be and notice when hoses work loose or things start to wear so you can react to it in time before you break down. 

• Like 1

I've had to use recovery a few times unexpectedly, wouldn't have the balls to risk going without it now haha!  Each to their own though, I do see your point. :smile: 

I've had to use recovery a few times unexpectedly, wouldn't have the balls to risk going without it now haha!  Each to their own though, I do see your point. :smile: 

I've never had any recovery cover. I know I should though on a modern car.

Thought it was a lot cheaper. Need to ring the stealers up. Also get free puncture repairs! Wow! Hahaha. Get free breakdown cover from my bank so not worth it. Only going to them to keep up the full dealer history when I sell it on in a few years. The service at Ford Eltham is terrible anyway. Didn't even clean it last time. Take my Sirocco to a local.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think that the £149 service includes breakdown cover any more. I think that they dropped the roadside assistance back in March when they increased the price from £125 to £149 and included the pollen filter or the air filter.

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

I don't think that the £149 service includes breakdown cover any more. I think that they dropped the roadside assistance back in March when they increased the price from £125 to £149 and included the pollen filter or the air filter.

Still includes the Ford Assist

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/assistance

On 21/09/2017 at 7:17 PM, CyprusPluto said:

That's about the only time anyone will get ANY assistance from Ford! :whip:

• Like 1

On Thursday September 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM, CyprusPluto said:

That's the 'Ford Service' which does still include the mobility insurance. The over four years 'Motorcraft' service - which is the cheaper one - doesn't as far as I can tell - although there seems to have been the possibility of negotiating or paying an admin fee for it, although that may have just been a transitional arrangement.