Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Upgrade

Benlavelle

Morning All, 

With the darker months approaching I was hoping to get some advice regarding my headlight bulbs.

I love the look of the pure white Xeons however, I don't have projected headlights so can't fit them. Therefore early last year i bought some "H7 Philips Diamond Vision bulbs 5000k" which are alright, 5000k gives a decent white-ish look. Although, I've recently installing some pure DRL's and the headlights are looking very 'yellow' against the DRL's. I understand that I'll need get a full 6000k white look but was hoping you guys can recommend some good pure white halogen bulbs with a good light output? 

Ben.

I had GE Sportlight's on my previous cars. They are about as white as you'll get.

Unfortunately without getting a proper projector headlight setup with all the additional bits like washers and auto levelling you're never going to achieve that 6000k look. Even the illegal aftermarket kits are far too blue.

Hey Andy, 

That's it, nothing will compare although I'm hoping to get a best match possible. So you'd recommend the GE Sportlight's for both white colour and coverage? 

Ben.

Unfortunately I don't think you will get that true HID Xenon look with halogen bulbs no matter what colour temperature they claim to be. At most those xenon imitation halogen bulbs just have a layer of blue film over them. So you may make the headlights look less yellow but you won't really get a full white/blue colour and you will also reduce your light output because of this.

One option may be to try retrofit a projector unit inside your headlamp so you can use HID bulbs. Again this won't be fully legal without installing washers and self levellers but would be a vast improvement over HID bulbs in a standard Focus reflector headlamp set up which will create a large amount of glare.

Loads of info on doing this mod on theretrofitsource.com

Cheers Dave, I think I'll keep the Philips Diamond Vision bulbs for now. I'll replace the fog & main beam lights with these too.

Ben. 

You can put LEDs in fogs without worries and I believe that people have done main beams too, however I would personally avoid LEDs in the main head cluster.

8 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

You can put LEDs in fogs without worries and I believe that people have done main beams too, however I would personally avoid LEDs in the main head cluster.

LEDs in the headlights are illegal and fall under the same classification as HID/Xenons and will require projectors, levelling and washers. Not only that, their lumin output will be questionable anyway. LEDs in the fog lights are also illegal technically but less of an issue compared with the headlights.

1 hour ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

LEDs in the headlights are illegal and fall under the same classification as HID/Xenons and will require projectors, levelling and washers. Not only that, their lumin output will be questionable anyway. LEDs in the fog lights are also illegal technically but less of an issue compared with the headlights.

Thanks for clarification on the fog lights. I searched for ages before installing and couldn't find anything conclusive.

Not that I'm questioning you but do you know where I can find the legislation for it?

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.
In clarification, if the bulbs you use in the foglights are CE marked then you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.
In clarification, if the bulbs you use in the foglights are CE marked then you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Poopy.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club