Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 glovebox removal

mjt

I need to remove the glovebox on our Mk3. Haynes says prise off the console end panel as one of the bolts is behind it. I've had a try with a wide flat-bladed screwdriver but it seem as though it's going to need a fair bit of force and I'm nervous about breaking something. Haynes' photo doesn't give enough detail to see exactly how it clips in (nothing new there!). Has anyone done this successfully?

Haynes also says the two lower bolts are difficult to locate. How difficult? I'm 6' 2" and at my age not very flexible so lying underneath or even kneeling and peering under isn't an option.

I'd be most grateful for any info and tips.

it shouldnt break. just detatched mine so you can see

1507980116829.thumb.jpg.f7cc676837447449a5def2186f6cd53b.jpg1507980157441.thumb.jpg.6b4f320034dcf4d255ab6068359bcd27.jpg

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that Ian, that's a great photo. Haynes should commission you to take theirs :biggrin:.

Do you know roughly where I need to look for the bottom bolts?

Remove the fusebox cover trim, then either side of the yellow clips you will see cut outs , put you finger in the area of cut out and you will feel the screw heads. Torque screws.

Either side of this yellow clip and the other one

1507985284387.jpg.7a76f0797a3835019f722f56bf72b6fb.jpg

Looks like you have some extra goodies wired in there, Ian!

• Like 1

Looks like you have some extra goodies wired in there, Ian!

Yeh, a mess isn't it. Can't see it.lol

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Remove the fusebox cover trim, then either side of the yellow clips you will see cut outs , put you finger in the area of cut out and you will feel the screw heads. Torque screws.

Is this how you change the pollen filter on the MK3 then, is it similar to the MK2.5 where you have to unhinge the fuse box from the bulk head then undo a couple of 5.5 mm screws from the side of the heater matrix?

nope, easier. no dismantling. no screws. just squeeze the clips on the access panel , remove and force the filter out and push new one in.

• Like 1

Well, that was a frustrating half-hour! I totally failed to get the glovebox out. I removed the screw from the console end panel (Torx T20) and the two upper and two lower mounting screws (Torx T25) but the glovebox downright refused to budge. I struggled and pulled in various places but it felt as if something was still holding it in. In the end I had to give up and put all the screws back.

Thanks Dan. The video shows that I'd actually taken out the wrong screw behind the end panel Doh! :blush:

It's useful to know there are also spring clips holding it, that guy was having a bit of a struggle. I'll have to psych myself up for another go.

I really think the guys who design these cars should be forced to spend at least a year working on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking the glovebox out and in the process proved that there is an alternate Universe :ohmy:

As I pulled it out one of the plastic captive nuts dropped off the dash flange. When I tried to put it back I found it was loose so tried to pinch it together and in the process it winked out of existence! I was kneeling leaning into the passenger footwell when it slipped out of my fingers and vanished from this world. You'd think a piece of white plastic would stand out like a sore thumb against a black interior but it was nowhere to be seen. My local Ford parts dept. didn't stock them so has had to order them in, consequently I'm now running around with no glovebox.

The main problem I encountered removing the glovebox this time was that I couldn't get the connector to disengage from the courtesy light switch so I had to pop the switch out and use a cable tie to hold the plunger in as the bulb seems difficult to pull out especially when it's hot! Even now that I've got decent access to it I still can't see how the connector latch releases.

Of course Haynes just blithely tells you to disconnect the wiring with no information on how to actually do it!!

I recently took out the glovebox of the wife's Mk2.5 and that was a total breeze compared with this.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club