Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus owner questions

BrummyGit

Hello, I've just bought a Focus 5-door Titanium X Navigator 1.5 TDCi (120) which I pick up tomorrow. It also has Appearance Pack 2 (I'm nervous about the 18" ultra-low profiles), Ford Key Free System and Premium Ford SYNC2 DAB Navigation. The car was built in 2015 (according to ETIS) and registered in March 2016. Outgoing car is a 2005 Galaxy TDi 150 Ghia which is essentially a VW.

I have lots of questions that I hope you can help with:

• I assume this is a Mk3.5 ?
  • Is the Ford Key Free full keyless entry of just keyless start?
  • Does the Premium Ford SYNC2 DAB Navigation give anything other than better Speakers?
  • I've managed to register in ETIS and pull of the full spec (although it was missing things I'd expected to find from the brochures I downloaded) and also found a section that seems to offer the option to update some of the software on some modules in my car - is this correct and what connectivity do I need (I used to use a cheap USB to ODBC cable for the Galaxy)?
  • Can I update to SYNC3 easily?
  • Can I update the SatNav maps?
  • What other things should I know as a new owner?

Sorry for lots of questions.

Sync isn't upgradable to 3 from 2. Keyless is full key free. Yes 3.5. I am sure others will fill in the gaps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nav maps are on the SD card, take card out and look see what version you have, probably f5. Later ones can be had from eBay or ford dealer.

Great thanks - much appreciated.

I'm really quite intrigued by the software updating as ETIS really seemed to imply that I could upgrade some modules myself and I'm sure read like all I needed was a male to male USB cable.

One other question came to mind - I think I should have LED rear lights yet when viewing I am convinced that the rear indicators are bulbs. Are the rear LEDs only for certain functions?

I have lots of questions that I hope you can help with:

• I assume this is a Mk3.5 ?     Yes
  • Is the Ford Key Free full keyless entry of just keyless start? - If full keyless it should show as passive keyless entry or similar wording on ETIS
  • Does the Premium Ford SYNC2 DAB Navigation give anything other than better Speakers? Yes it raises the boot floor by about 4" to house the sub so you lose some space from the already small boot.
  • I've managed to register in ETIS and pull of the full spec (although it was missing things I'd expected to find from the brochures I downloaded) and also found a section that seems to offer the option to update some of the software on some modules in my car - is this correct and what connectivity do I need (I used to use a cheap USB to ODBC cable for the Galaxy)?
  • Can I update to SYNC3 easily? No
  • Can I update the SatNav maps? On Sync 2 upgrading nav is via an SD card so very easy
  • What other things should I know as a new owner? Sync 2 is pretty slow and a PITA to use on the go due to small icons, poor touch sensitivity and overall slow response.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrummyGit said:

One other question came to mind - I think I should have LED rear lights yet when viewing I am convinced that the rear indicators are bulbs. Are the rear LEDs only for certain functions?

As said it's just the rear side lights that are LED .

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and apologies for the extra question in the middle.

I will probably get an updated SD card for the SatNav - I was sure I read it can be done online by connecting the car to a wifi network but obviously not. Maybe a feature of SYNC3 or just my imagination.

2 minutes ago, BrummyGit said:

I will probably get an updated SD card for the SatNav - I was sure I read it can b done online by connecting the car to a wifi network but obviously not. Maybe a feature of SYNC3 or just my imagination.

No. Wifi can be used to update the Sync 3 system itself but the nav maps updates seem to be by USB stick or dealer visit.  Sync 3 is a lot different to Sync2 having used both.  

Sat nav updates by sd card from E bay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club