Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel spin and judder from rear wheels on moving away

Usinspain

Hello everybody new here just purchased focus titanium 2014 in September, 20000 miles automatic when I move away the rear wheels seem to spin and judder hope that makes sense, been in and out of ford garage 3 times they say nothing wrong took it out with a technician last Tuesday he got me to floor my accelerator pedal and it felt as though the rear wheels were going to come through the floor, he said it could be the tyres not the correct type, or the clutch, had it in fords again yesterday guy rang me last night nothing wrong with it but he did not even know the other guy had been out with me so communication not working, going out with SENIOR TECHNICIAN on Monday have you any ideas on what could be my problem

thank you

Someone more mechanically minded will be along I'm sure, but I dont think the focus is RWD, so the rear wheels can't be spinning freely.

It'smore likely a suspension or alignment issue or possibly as your mechanic says a problem with tyres. What size wheels do you have out of interest?

It’s definitely not the rear wheels spinning as said your car is front wheel drive. 

Easy checks first , have you checked your wheels nuts are tight ? 

Jack each rear corner up separately and check for play in the wheel bearings by grabbing the wheel and tugging back & forth with hands at 12 & 6 o’clock. 

How about the exhaust, could it be banging on the underside of the car when driving ? Grab the tail pipe and try to move it see if it makes a banging noice. 

does this car have the traditional type automatic gearbox with torque converter     or   is it the type where the gearbox and clutch are more like a manual car but with loads of electronics and solenoids to do the changes for you?  Durashift EST (Electronic Shift Transmission) - 

Tyres on the car are 215/55 R 16 this technician seen today says it is not going to be as good as a new car I know that, it happened once on the test drive he said it was because I went away a bit quick and was wheel spin.

i will keep driving it until it starts to do it again and if it is in working hours take it back into garage and ask for this technician 

I have got 15 months warranty on the car 

thank you for all your help

This car does not have a clutch as I know it accelerator pedal and brake pedal stick control has P R N D S AND ON STICK IS + AND - BUTONS 

THANK YOU

Jim, search and read up on 'Ford Powershift problems' and see if anything rings true. There have been well documented problems with these boxes particularly, I have read, with the 1.6 petrol engine.

Here's one to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Good luck

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club