Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus DMF Flywheel

Htpearg0

I have a standard 1.6 180 BHP Ford Focus bought from New and serviced by a main dealer. Its done just under 20 k miles and I am suspecting the Dual mass fly wheel is starting to play up as I can feel a juddering thro the pedal when taking up the drive (very occasionaly you can feel the car jerk as well) especially after a long run. Given we experienced a similar problem with a Vauxhall corsa and the main dealer failed to rectify the problem I was wondering what the view of the experts on here was.

Should I have the clutch replaced with new DMF flywheel ( I have the 5 year warranty but expect Ford will tell me the clutch isnt covered)

Should I consider having the DMF flywheel repalced with a single mass flywheel ?

Your views appreciated

PS I have owned mainly fords for over 40 years and this is the first time I have had clutch issues so guessing it is not a driver issue

It might be a phenomenon called "clutch whoop", certain engine combinations on the MK3 Focus are notorious for it.  In fact I know there have been threads on here about it so ight be worth you having a search for it.

I doubt the DMF is going, a typical sign for that would be some loud clunking after applying a load at low RPM in a high gear, then release the accelerator. it can make a grinding sounds but clunking is the one that's easiest to notice.

Forget conversions, there is a reason they put a DMF on, removing it and replacing with a standard flywheel may just cause you an even bigger problem, lots of torque, lots of engine movement, lots more vibration, what could possibly go wrong :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If DMF is gone you should feel shudder at all times with the slightest touch of the clutch pedal. So it shouldn't only be when going up the drive etc.