Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forscan focccus elm config - questions

Pebbleheed

My ELMconfig cable has arrived. I’ve downloaded elm config, Forscan and focccus. 

Does anyone have any links to any guides?

I know the first thing I have to do is create a backup. Do I do this in each program? Anyone advise on how to do this?

Anything to avoid?

First an ELMconfig cable does not exist. It is a diagnostic interface that is based on the ELM327 microcontroller. These are usually referred to as "ELM327 interfaces". However 99% of all "ELM327 interfaces" are clones and do not even have a real ELM327 microcontroller.

ELMconfig is a program that was specifically written for the Focus MK2/MK2.5, C-max MK1/MK1.5 and Kuga MK1. Later versions of the program also have support For the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 and S-max MK1/Galaxy MK3. This program is primarily designed for configuration purposes and has limited support for updating the software of some CANbus modules.

FoCCCus is a program that was specifically written for the Focus MK3, C-max MK2 and Kuga MK2. Unfortunately the author of the program stopped further development of the program a few Years ago. Because of this the program was never further developed for the facelift versions. This program is primarily designed for configuration purposes and has limited support for updating the software of some CANbus modules.

ForScan is a diagnostic program that supports most Ford models. Next to the diagnostic functions it also has the ability to change the configuration of the vehicle.

When changing the configuration of the car you should always make a backup of the original settings. All of these programs have the ability to do this. However the file extension of the created backup file can be different. A different program may not be able to read the backup file. The Direct Config parameters (for example DE00) that are accesible with the FoCCCus program do not have a backup function. When changing these values you should make screenshots of the original settings.

Most settings can also be retrieved from the original AS-BUILT file that can be downloaded from the Ford servers. However you should only use this as a last resort in case no backups are available.

Do not use the software update function of the FoCCCus program unless you know for 100% sure what you are doing and have the tools and knowledge to solve it when something goes wrong during the update process. The update functions of the FoCCCus program are very powerful and do not have any kind of protection to prevent loading incorrect files. Using the software update function can easily result in bricked CANbus modules and an immobilized car.  

• Like 3

I appreciate it’s not the name of the type of cable that it is, but mine is called that :D

Thabks for the detailed reply. Should be very useful. And merry Christmas. 

A8E1E1C1-4CF3-479C-8753-6FC6C0F018AF.jpeg

This interface is just a rebranded generic ELM327 clone. Because of the polularity of the Ford specific ELMconfig, FoCCCus and Forscan software some Chinese manufacturers started producing these modified versions with a switch. European resellers usually sell these interfaces with there own custom made label. 

These modified versions with a switch are usually based on good quality ELM327 clones.

• Like 1