Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Battery

MrRedman

I’m changing a battery for someone on a focus 1.6 petrol euro parts have sold him an Exide EB442 anyone using this one as it doesn’t mention silver calcium on the battery which is what I thought they had to have 

cheers 

Put the car reg info into the Euro Parts page and see what it recommends

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrRedman said:

I’m changing a battery for someone on a focus 1.6 petrol euro parts have sold him an Exide EB442 anyone using this one as it doesn’t mention silver calcium on the battery which is what I thought they had to have 

cheers 

old cars may not need the silver calcium batts. hope he used any of the following discount codes to save even more money. BATT35, XMAS17, BOX90

• Like 1

what year is the car? how long is guarantee on the battery? does he plan to keep it longer then the guarantee runs?  

my understanding is that newer fords pump a higher voltage into the battery to make it recharge quicker.  This higher voltage means that it could warp the plates (by heat) in a battery that was not made with this in mind. How vital this is I do not know. 

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/    this is a notice from Yuasa which seems to say that yuasa batteries that are not silver calcium (but are calcium)are fine for replacing ford silver calcium batteries. I do not know if Exide have ever said similar or would do if asked.

this page here says EB442 is calcium battery (but that's not Exide's own website so is it true?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exide-Excell-EB442-Battery-Type/dp/B006TC6CJQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.exide.com/eu/sites/default/files/2017-07/Light Vehicle - Battery Solutions_0.pdf

this is the exide leaflet for their batteries. EB442 seems to be Exide Excell which is not the lowest (EC - Classic being the lowest). This leaflet does not give the answer. I would have thought that if not suitable for modern fords as a whole then they would say so otherwise they would just end up out of pocket on the warranties wouldn't they? who knows?

• Like 1

I have been running an exide battery for 12 months it doesn't mention being a calcium battery it has been fine so far.  Touch wood.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies I’ve put it in and he will see how it goes 

cheers 

i would have thought selecting a battery with the correct amp -hours & ccc ( cold cranking capacity ) would be more important than whether the cells are silver , calcium or something else.........

38 minutes ago, biff55 said:

i would have thought selecting a battery with the correct amp -hours & ccc ( cold cranking capacity ) would be more important than whether the cells are silver , calcium or something else.........

Garage put a new ‘bog standard’ lead acid in mine when I bought it and it cooked itself within a year! I went out and bought a Yuasa calcium battery and had no problem since. Depends how old the car is as Ford have been using calcium batteries since mid to late 90’s.

3 hours ago, MrRedman said:

Thanks everyone for your replies I’ve put it in and he will see how it goes 

cheers 

Did you take my advice and do a check on the Euro Parts site?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club