Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCI 2012- Gearbox Question

n_hudson

I'm not sure if its an issue or just a significant nuisance.  The car in question is a 2013 Focus 1.6 TDCI manual with 60k miles.

The gearbox has no issues finding gears, up, down or skipping from say 3rd to 5th and back ect.  When sat idle, engine running or off, there is no issue at all.

The main issue is only present when the car is moving or basically just coasting, but it has to be in motion and occurs when the clutch is not engaged \ peddle depressed.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st only, there is a significant crunch noise, like metal on metal, but not issues of getting into gear. All other gears are fine. 

There is also a louder than expected heavy clunk when engaging / disengaging the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, these gear changes only and the shifts have to have been made when the car has moved, the fault is not present after the car has been stationary or is at idle. 

I'm not sure if the problem is getting worse or how long its been doing it, as its my wife's car and not my daily driver. 

I was wondering if anyone had ever had an example similar to this at all, Focus or other type and what the fault was or could be?

Hi

i have a 2012 model and I get the big clunk from 1st to 2nd. It has been looked at by Ford when I first bought the car and they could find nothing amiss. 

Ive had the car almost 4 years and do 20000 miles a year so I don’t think there is too much to be concerned about. Having said that I do not get a crunch as you describe so I can’t comment on that particular issue. 

11 hours ago, itsrelfy said:

Hi

i have a 2012 model and I get the big clunk from 1st to 2nd. It has been looked at by Ford when I first bought the car and they could find nothing amiss. 

Ive had the car almost 4 years and do 20000 miles a year so I don’t think there is too much to be concerned about. Having said that I do not get a crunch as you describe so I can’t comment on that particular issue. 

Maybe not a crunch, but I guess just a cluck is what it sounds like. 

Its quite cold tonight and the 'box didn't have an issue at all on a short 15 min trip, maybe its a heat thing?  I'm wondering if a simple oil change might help? 

I was going to have my car looked at by Ford, but they wanted nearly £440 just to take the box out and investigate, so I thought I'd use the infinite wisdom of owners and Google first. 

thanks for the reply.

I haven’t noticed anything with mine when it comes to temperature. But I do notice a difference with revs. 

If i take it up to 3k say the clunk is a lot less than if I change gear into 2nd at say 2k. Don’t know why that would be but it does seem to have a bearing on it. 

When ford looked at mine od only just bought the car and it had about 8k on it. It’s now got 72000. It’s fully serviced by ford. As I say it’s never caused an issue just a bit annoying. Hopefully yours is the same. 

If if you do change the fluid let’s us know ignore it makes a difference. 

Happy new year 

Adrian 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club