Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions On Adding Extras to a Used Focus.

Liam40

Hi Everyone,

If I found a used Focus for sale that I really liked but it didn’t have Privacy Glass or LED daylight running lights, would it be possible to have them added to the Focus by either a Ford dealer or an independent car repairer? 

If it was possible, would it cost a lot to have done? Which would you choose to have the work done by ‘Ford Dealer’ or ‘Independent Repairer’?

I haven’t mentioned about me doing the work myself as I am not that mechanically minded, so that option is best avaioded.

Thank you,

Liam.

don't know about the LED lights.

The privacy glass. the tint is in the glass and not something added to the surface. So all of the bits of glass you want done have to be replaced. Windscreen replacement company could do it as they do other windows besides windscreen when they get broken.  I would imagine it would be expensive. They would probably think you were mad.   I would think most people would go to one of the places where you have have a tinted film applied to those windows as that must be more cost effective.

Personally I don't like the privacy glass on my car but could not find one without it that had the other bits I wanted

I really like privacy glass but bought a car without simply due to price this time.

It can't really be retrofitted (without considerable time and cost anyway) so tint film is the next best option.  Film is never perfect though, and always leaves lines around the windows where they're originally bonded in.  Eventually it wrinkles or bubbles as well.

You can buy pre cut tint film on eBay...  For a 5dr mk3 focus it's £20 all rear windows...  BUT I doubt I've got the dexterity or the patience to fit it lol.  I've thought about having it done professionally but not looked into cost yet.

Don't forget you'll have to declare it as a modification on your insurance if it wasn't there from the factory.

Daylight running lights can be retrofitted but come as part of the xenon headlights.  So expensive to buy, but quite easy to fit.  However you then also need headlight levellers, washers, larger washer bottle etc...  So it becomes uneconomical really.

You can get aftermarket DRLs and stick them where you like, but they do tend to look a bit cheap and tacky.

Thank you for your advice. It seems that the work would be costly to do. I’m not a fan of DIY tinting of the windows, too much stress trying to keep the bubbles and wrinkles out when applying. And that’s not just my face either 😂😂😂

It would certainly make more sense to wait until the ideal Focus Titanium came along which had all that I wanted on a Focus!

Liam.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had an 'ideal' car, there's always a compromise somewhere with used cars, whether that's forced by time, money or distance.   If you're not restricted by any of those just keep looking and waiting for the right one. 

Asuming you're looking at mk3s, it sounds like you'd prefer a Titanium X tbh, on top of the normal Titanium it comes with part leather seats, xenon headlights with DRLs, rear park assist (parks itself!) and most if not all seem to have privacy glass.  They aren't particularly common though and hold value well - I've been after one for months but have 'settled' for a standard Titanium instead.  Though it does have the City Pack, which is just powerfold mirrors are rear park pilot as far as I can tell.  I'll miss the privacy glass and xenons of my mk2, but it came down to money at the end of the day.

Where are you looking Tom for a mk3 titanium x focus? There are lots out there and cheap too. They certainly do not keep their price.
Aftermarket tinting if done correctly is as good as factory fit tints. My 1st mk4.5 mondeo titanium x sport didn't have tints but I found a place and only costing £120. The dealer I sold it too couldn't tell it wasn't factory fit.

I guess 'cheap' depends on the person, cars also tend to be cheaper up North, as everything seems to be lol...  I haven't seen a single Mk3 1.0EB/1.6TDCi TX locally around £6000 with less than 50k miles in all the time I've been looking.  I don't travel well though, so can only look within about an hours drive of Ipswich.

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had an 'ideal' car, there's always a compromise somewhere with used cars, whether that's forced by time, money or distance.   If you're not restricted by any of those just keep looking and waiting for the right one. 

Asuming you're looking at mk3s, it sounds like you'd prefer a Titanium X tbh, on top of the normal Titanium it comes with part leather seats, xenon headlights with DRLs, rear park assist (parks itself!) and most if not all seem to have privacy glass.  They aren't particularly common though and hold value well - I've been after one for months but have 'settled' for a standard Titanium instead.  Though it does have the City Pack, which is just powerfold mirrors are rear park pilot as far as I can tell.  I'll miss the privacy glass and xenons of my mk2, but it came down to money at the end of the day.

Hi Tom,

Im hoping if the right car came along to get a mk 3.5 purely for the bigger touch screen dash, and I’m not sure if I like the front end and the smaller centre dash screen of the mk 3? I haven’t seen many mk 3.5 Titanium X’s, Titanium’s are quite common on the mk 3.5 . 

Money is a factor as well as trying to get a younger model, between 2014-2016. Don’t know if I’d go for a 2013 year. Recently I’ve seen in Auto Trader 2 Focus’s both mk 3 2014 years, one was a Titanium X which was fully loaded, and the other one a Titanium which had everything apart from reversing cam and privacy glass. Both reasonably priced and sold very  quickly.

Liam.

Ah ok, if your budget covers the mk3.5 that's definitely better looking than the mk3 both inside and out, I'm not sure of the spec differences between Titanium and TX on them though as they're still way out of my budget lol.  Some Titanium's did get a load of optional extras so you might find one that's almost a TX but without the X price tag...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club