Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford focus 1.6 tdci 2011

AJP95

Hi guys, I'd like to pick your brains. On the way to work today I noticed thick black smoke coming out of the exhaust while the cooling fan was running and a substantial drop in power, as i pulled into work the smoke was starting to billow out of the engine as well, this was accompanied by a smell of burning.  my journey to work is only a short one but i make sure that the car is frequently driven on the motorway at 2000 RPM or higher periodically to try and ensure the DPF stays clear. It was also only serviced in November by a trusted mechanic, so I'm really scratching my head about what it could be, any educated guesses would be appriciated so i know what im in for. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, AJP95 said:

On the way to work today I noticed thick black smoke coming out of the exhaust while the cooling fan was running and a substantial drop in power, as i pulled into work the smoke was starting to billow out of the engine as well,

Sounds scary!

I suspect it must have something to do with the DPF, as that should actively filter out any smoke.

One scenario: A previous owner gutted the DPF, and disabled the EOLYS system somehow, but soot has been building up in the exhaust system as a result, and caught fire when the engine attempted a regen.

Another: The EOLYS system is not working, is empty, or has the wrong fluid. This will cause soot to build up in the DPF, with possibly similar result. The DPF would likely be damaged by the heat, and then allow smoke through.

The EOLYS fluid in a DV6 (Mk2/2a 1.6TDCI) enables soot to burn at the temperatures that the DPF can tolerate, without it, regens will not burn off the soot.

If your car is a Mk3, with the DV6C engine, it will not have an EOLYS system, but should have a catalytic DPF instead. These burn soot at lowish temperature without needing EOLYS fluid. But if replaced by the wrong (cheaper) type of DPF, or worn out or damaged, it could have the same result.

I guess another scenario, not related to DPF, is oil getting into the exhaust, via a damaged turbo bearing, or a damaged piston in the engine. But this will be very apparent when the car is driven, or the oil level inspected. Warning: oil from a damaged turbo can cause diesel run-away, so check for this first, I would recommend.

If the car has run ok since the smoke event, maybe it was a one off of some kind. But for a lot of smoke the get through the DPF, it almost has to be damaged or "modified".

Thank you for your reply, took it to a mechanic, he reckons its a faulty DPF sensor which means it is getting incorrect information from the ECU. It thinks its blocked when it isn't. He also found another but unrelated issue. The turbo hose is full of oil and leaking, any ideas how much these reparis could cost? 

A quite common fault on these cars is that the small hoses from the DPF to the DPF DP sensor get brittle, and crack or break. That should only cost a few quid to fix. If it is one of the DPF temperature sensors, then it will be a bit more, and maybe £100 to £200 for a replacement DP sensor.

I is a bit tricky to see how that stacks up with the symptoms of lots of smoke from exhaust & engine. Diagnosing these systems can be hard. The in-built diagnostics are a start, but usually additional tests on suspect parts are needed to confirm them. Though the broken hose one is easy once you can locate the hoses.

I am not quite sure what "the turbo hose" means. There are hoses all round the engine carrying air from turbo to the inlet manifold, via the intercooler. Some oil always gets into these from the crankcase breather system. They are prone to splitting, usually you can hear a hissing noise as the turbo ramps up, if they leak. Prices from these hoses vary a lot, depending which one, or whether Ford original or pattern part. Might be a few quid, might be around £100. You can feel around all these hoses, they usually split near a joint, and usually at the back where you can not see!

It looked like it was an outlet hose of sorts, it was split and he just said there shouldn't be oil in there. He said the turbo will have to be removed and inspected for long lasting damage but it still seems to spool up and work ok