Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow

NeilRS

How’s everyone’s car doing in the snow? Mines not bad tea ruin wise but not great at stoppIng - guess I need winter tyres!

Stopping in snow is a real problem if you can't switch out the ABS .

ABS is ok tbh, I just factor it in as feedback that the surface is slippery and modify my driving to accomodate it.
Better to drop a gear and allow gentle engine braking than prod the brakes and lose traction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fine in driving but not so good when stopping, however most time, no matter on snow or on wet surface, intelligent 4WD does the front wheels driving rather than 4 wheels driving.  

I have had my automatic C-Max for 4 days so I am still getting use to it, but today it has been shocking, skidding and spinning all over the place.

My Edge has been great. We had 12 inches of snow and it just went through it no problem. Unfortunately my wife’s Fiesta is an ornament in my driveway.  It’s low profile but wide tyres are crap in the snow so I’ll just leave it for now. 

Have spent every day clearing snow off all of car before going to/from work (yes, this includes the roof. Got a great telescopic brush/rubber window blade/ice scraper from Amazon).

Have not experienced too much difficulty in driving as I have driven according to the weather/road conditions, using the car's acceleration to start before touching accelerator pedal.

Braking through engine rather than foot brake (my car is a manual). Of the four times of skidding slightly :-

The first one was to show my son how bad snow can be to drive in (was done in empty car park at very low speed) both skid to stop and hard to pull away with lead foot syndrome.

The second was when I hit some black Ice on a roundabout (again was driving slow for conditions) so removed cause of slip to regain control and continue safely.

The other two were through idiotic drivers going too fast for the conditions, so just briefly touching the brakes to give them more time/space to lose control (and they did).

Dave

Cars been fantastic in the snow, I’m lucky I have just had 4 new General Grabber M&S tyres put on. Was out for a couple of hours early Thursday morning trying to get to work through the drifts, came across a few stuck cars which we managed to dig out but the Edge never missed a beat. The only problem I had was the limited ground clearance. I never actually got stuck but came close due to bottoming out a few times.

Down side is, I now have a drive train fault (spanner warning light) although I think this is connected to a strange wherring noise I’ve been having intermittently for a while from the near side rear. Anyway, it’s getting low loadered off to main dealers for repair.

I've put on Continental 4X4-WinterContact tyres and what a difference it makes in the snow here in Newcastle we have had quite a bit of snow and it makes a massive difference.

• Like 1

Do those who have put winter or M&S tyres on their Edges plan to keep them on all year round or do you have two sets of tyres ?

My neighbour has two sets of wheels and tyres for his car, which he swaps around as necessary. Winter tyres tend to wear more in dry conditions I believe. 

Had no trouble so far, think if you drive to the conditions  and hope other road users do the same, the Edge does a good job in winter driving.

7 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Do those who have put winter or M&S tyres on their Edges plan to keep them on all year round or do you have two sets of tyres ?

My neighbour has two sets of wheels and tyres for his car, which he swaps around as necessary. Winter tyres tend to wear more in dry conditions I believe. 

The Grabbers are all year tyres so I will keep them on.

Just got my car back from the dealers, the only faults logged were for low fuel pressure so they have changed the fuel filter, and so far this seems to have sorted it.

As part of the health check they do, they now make a video and send it to you, showing you tyre tread and suspension front and back as well as talking about the brake pads and discs. Great service again from John Grose Ipswich.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, Edge of Reason said:

I have the stock wheels plus a set of winter wheels which I will change in April.but my wife has had her winter wheels on her Honda all year and they seem to be ok.

Cheers Robert.

With the tyres fitted by Ford, down right dangerous in snow!  Since I fitted Nokian Weatherproof SUV tyres it has been great.  Got into work every day last week when no one else managed and I did it without drama.

My car didn’t miss a beatin the snow, despite being fitted with the original ‘downright dangerous’ tyres, which are 12 months old, so probably halfway through their lifespan.  

16 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

My car didn’t miss a beatin the snow, despite being fitted with the original ‘downright dangerous’ tyres, which are 12 months old, so probably halfway through their lifespan.  

Mine also, pulled away, stopped and cornered all without any drama on some pretty treacherous rural East Yorkshire roads.

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club