Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Catch Can Install - 1.6 Tdci

Dee_82

After reading much about the wonderful 1.6 tdci engine I compiled a list of things I wanted to do to help try and minimise the risks associated with it and its turbo.

One of the things I read about was the breather pipe dumping oil in to the intercooler and eventually working up in to the inlet manifold.

At best this oil degrades the efficiency of the intercooler, at worst it can contribute to carbon deposits in the sump, turbo and inlet manifold binding with soot from the EGR.

WP_20150430_002.jpg

I decided on fitting an oil catch can, designed to be a closed loop system. The oil passes in to the can as vapour, is held with a special mesh, condensed in to a liquid and collects in the base of the can where it can be drained.

The tricky bit was the size of the breather outlet, on the 1.6tdci your looking at a 22 mm diameter breather, you will need to keep it this wide or risk restricting the breather system working, other engines are likely smaller.

I couldn't find anyone in the UK selling a can to my spec so a mate of mine suggested this chap from the states.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/s3_oil_catch_can.html

This is the model I ordered, guy was really helpful and there is plenty of room to customise.

WP_000260.jpg

Finding a location to install it was a pain, this car is tight, I found I nice wee spot under the airbox.

WP_20150324_001.jpg

WP_20150324_002.jpg

The next fun bit was plumbing it in, there's even less room to route 26mm silicone tubes around the car than I had realised!

eventually the following got it working.

2x25mm ID 90 degree silicone bends

1x25mm ID 135 degree silicone bend

1mx25mm ID of reinforced silicone tube (must be reinforced or it will bend)

4x26mm OD aluminium joiners

1x30mm OD aluminium Joiner

14x Jubilee clips

a long bolt, approx 10cm, some washers and a nut to match

Fairly basic setup

From breather, Hose down to 90 bend then to can.

Can out to 90 bend, 6 inches of hose up to side of battery box,

135 degree bend, hose back to intake pipe.

WP_20150419_011.jpg

This pic was before I installed 135 degree bend, originally as in the pic, I used another 90, but as you can see, it comes up to high which prevents the engine cover going on and slightly kinks one of the tubes, 135 and its perfect allowing the pipe from the breather outlet to go above the return pipe.

WP_20150430_001.jpg

After a few days driving, it had collected this. after about 2000 miles I had about 7ml of oil!

WP_20150525_006%201.jpg

ill try get some eBay links and prices up later on along with some newer pictures.

WP_20150609_001.jpg

That was her today, ill take out the airbox and remove the engine cover tomorrow and get some clearer pictures.

WP_20150611_002.jpg

• Like 4

this should be put in must do doing services congrats great work

• Like 2

its worth mentioning that cans like this one below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALUMINIUM-RED-ROUND-OIL-CATCH-TANK-BREATHER-CAN-9-15MM-FITTINGS-/191591441007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9bbd626f

aren't worth a penny, they aren't sealed, the screw fittings leak,v the screws rust and besides that, they don't make them big enough i considered trying to drill bigger holes and make it work but it was going to end up a bit of a bodge job, I picked up one to see what it was like and unfortunately, its every bit as crap as i had feared

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks for sharing this with us. Looks like a good job for a weekend if I can get organised with getting all the bits and pieces together.

• Like 1

Cheers! it was a long project, but got there in the end.

added a slightly better picture to show the full setup, I'm toying with replacing the tube from the breather with a 90 bend but id need to cut a small segment out of the engine cover so might not bother.

Also updated the list of parts I ordered

I got all the Silicone from a company called ASH, they are on eBay, chances are, any search for silicone bends will bring up there stuff.

The quality of the bends is second to none, really impressed.

The whole project grew legs, mostly because I didn't know what would fit, so I ended up with bits of tune and connectors that were wrongly sized up and all sorts, but I think its worth it.

serviced it again just there, after another K and dropped another 5 mil of thick oil out, the intake tubes are oil free now, just need to reclean the intercooler.

In total after about 3~4k the can has collected about 15ml of oil. For me that works out at about +60ml per year.

If that job can help prevent future problems then great, if not, you can pull it all out when you sell your car and put it in the new one, its not going to hurt it!

The ID of the breather must not be less than 22mm, I cant imagine other engines have larger breathers so you should beable to install it in any future car with a single breather outlet.

EDIT

So I left it for 6k without poking about with it and in total I collected just under 100ml of oil! I think it seems to depend on driving style, in my first tests it was pretty sedate driving, recently ive been kicking the !Removed! out of it, just to be sure shes working ok :D. so realistically your looking at between 100ml and 200ml every 12k

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I m going to make the installation soon :-)

The in and out of the oil can must have minimum 22mm diameter correct?

Did you feel any diference in the performance acceleration and response of your focus with this installation?

Just asking :-)

Please reply

• Like 2

Yeah, 22mm is the tricky bit, theres loads at 19 or less but ive been reliably informed that applying too much restriction can stop the crank case venting properly, which is bad.

3mm doesn't sound much but that's like a 16% reduction in area combined with the already restricted airflow because of the can an you can see its going to mount up.

as for any performance related changes, no, I'm afraid its not going to make any difference there.

By removing most of the oil you wont fill the intercooler and inlet manifold up with oil which will help with cooling and preventing restrictions in the manifold, I doubt you will notice an improvement but it should help a little.

More importantly is how it can help prevent future problems and this is its primary function.

• Like 3

Great job Darren.

Good information there for those with the tdci engine. Looks like it took you a good while to get all installed and seated neatly ect but well worth it in the end I would say. :)

Great pics as well fella.

• Like 2

Thank s Dee

The question about the performance changements , it was to make sur if with the instalation we lose performance ! I know that ot is not a oil can that will give more power :-) , my inglish is not the best , you had give a very clarifing answer 👍

• Like 2

No Worries mate there is no real negative side to this other than the price!

Its a closed loop system meaning nothing is vented

unlike what these do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-0-6L-Oil-Catch-Tank-15mm-Fittings-Lightweight-Can-with-Breather-Filter-/351117810206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c0409a1e

some people have mentioned that rather than bringing the breather back in to the intake they just block that off and run a tube under the car.

This is actually pretty sensible, its not just oil that is coming out of the breather there is other gases and all sorts, none of which you want used in place of clean air inside your engine which is what the above eBay item tries to do, the problem is that is technically a second exhaust and you might end up killing yourself with carbon monoxide or something if it gets sucked back in.

The safest and legal way is a closed loop system, no gasses are vented, its just the oil that is separated out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent Guide mate,

Ive purchasd a kit from Cruide Performance as saw in my build thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/?p=507289

I have a question regarding the tank itself;

How did you fit the tank to the chassis,

Did you have to drill some holes or were they already there ?

Excellent Guide mate,

Ive purchasd a kit from Cruide Performance as saw in my build thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/?p=507289

I have a question regarding the tank itself;

How did you fit the tank to the chassis,

Did you have to drill some holes or were they already there ?

Nice one!

Yeah, here is an existing hole through the... thing! I'll call it a strut, forms part of the crumple zone I guess, another beam attaches to it and joins in the same manor the drivers side. There is a hole on both sides of this strut, which allowed me to place with some large washers and a 10m x 100mm bolt, it might have been 110mm thinking about it. I attached a mount to one side and bolted it the other underneath the airbox

My can had plenty of clearance under the airbox. The only other place I could think of putting it was bolting it to the rear of the battery box but I'm not confidant gravity would pull and liquid oil in to the car or back in to the engine. I decided the lower the better

• Like 1

Nice one!

Yeah, here is an existing hole through the... thing! I'll call it a strut, forms part of the crumple zone I guess, another beam attaches to it and joins in the same manor the drivers side. There is a hole on both sides of this strut, which allowed me to place with some large washers and a 10m x 100mm bolt, it might have been 110mm thinking about it. I attached a mount to one side and bolted it the other underneath the airbox

My can had plenty of clearance under the airbox. The only other place I could think of putting it was bolting it to the rear of the battery box but I'm not confidant gravity would pull and liquid oil in to the car or back in to the engine. I decided the lower the better

Cheers mate,

I agree lower is better, is a shame though as id like to have had it on side of the battery box but as said gravity wouldnt flow oil in to it at that location.

Im just doing shopping list at present,

Will be 6-8 weeks more before i can fit it,

So ill need some M10 bolts and jubilee clips,

Saw nice sleeved ones on special offer but only one would be saw fitting in to the induction hose,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301225095417

Cheers mate,

I agree lower is better, is a shame though as id like to have had it on side of the battery box but as said gravity wouldnt flow oil in to it at that location.

Im just doing shopping list at present,

Will be 6-8 weeks more before i can fit it,

So ill need some M10 bolts and jubilee clips,

Saw nice sleeved ones on special offer but only one would be saw fitting in to the induction hose,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301225095417

Its not so bad down there, makes draining it with oil changes nice and simple, Don't forget the washers, the hole is about an inch or so wide

Its not so bad down there, makes draining it with oil changes nice and simple, Don't forget the washers, the hole is about an inch or so wide

Thanks,

Need two for each bolt i suppose, one on either side,

Last thing i want when fitting is to have the car stripped then find im missing somthing as id have to drive to DIY store to get it, :rolleyes:

• Like 1

yeah, one on each side, in B&Q they came in packs of 10, my mounting bracket for the can had a hole large enough to take the M10 bolt, probably something else to keep in mind

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So, another 6000 miles and this time I drained a little over 100mls of dirty black oil from my can. The rubber between the Airbox and the turbo is now bone dry.

interestingly, when I drained my IC after years of use before I installed the can, there was only 200-300 mls of oil in it, meaning a sizeable amount of it must be getting sucked up and burnt. (or combined with the EGR waste and blocking stuff up

so all in all, well chuffed with it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club