Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise Underneath My Car!

Brophy2990

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so I'm hope I'm doing this correctly. I basically have an issue with mr car and was wondering if someone know exactly what it is.

When I'm driving i can sometimes hear a rattling from the front of the car if I hit a pot hole or something similar. However when I brake the rattling goes mad, it almost sounds like my wheels/discs etc are loose but they are not. I've changed the brake pads and discs so it cannot be them , and I've had a new exhaust. The noise sounds almost like it's coming from the brakes but what could it be. The noise happens all the time when I brake, or hit a pot hole or a bump.

Any help would be great?

Many thanks

James. :D

Ford Fiesta TDCI is my car..

Hey,

i would of said it may have been ur disc's but if you have replaced pads n discs then i think you shoudl look at your damper's and struts. check there all sealed and everything is connected. A friend of mine had the same problem and it ended up being the hat that sits on the strut.

Give it a go

Nat

I had an annoying rattle last year when i had an vauxhall Astra , it was driving me mad i checked every where , looking aroung tightning things up , drove me mad for weeks haha. Finaly found it. The rear n/s coil spring had snapped and rapped it's self around the bottom of the spring .Common fault apparently on them. :lol:

I had an annoying rattle last year when i had an vauxhall Astra , it was driving me mad i checked every where , looking aroung tightning things up , drove me mad for weeks haha. Finaly found it. The rear n/s coil spring had snapped and rapped it's self around the bottom of the spring .Common fault apparently on them. :lol:

Check the basics, JohnS had a similar issue, and was concerned about the rattle, it turned out he had coins in a scully somewhere and that was causing the crazy rattle! always worth checking the smaller things in life!

Thanks for the reply guys, At the week end I'm going to jack it up have a look. Strangely I went driving out in it last night, and when you brake, the steering wheel now goes mad in vibration. Not the little bit like when your tracking's out, and only when you brake. Any ideas since this could help narrow it down. Providing I know what the issue is I can dig out the old Haynes book, and get to work :-).

James.

Thanks for the reply guys, At the week end I'm going to jack it up have a look. Strangely I went driving out in it last night, and when you brake, the steering wheel now goes mad in vibration. Not the little bit like when your tracking's out, and only when you brake. Any ideas since this could help narrow it down. Providing I know what the issue is I can dig out the old Haynes book, and get to work :-).

James.

Hi James,

Sounds like a warped brake disc mate, if you have a spirit level or something with a dead straight edge,

remove the wheel and ensure the discs are cold before touching, hold the straight edge against the disc and check if it sits flush, rotate the disc slightly and look again,

try this on all discs on your car, ;)

you may have replaced them recently but just check, the disc could have been warped prior to fitting or under heavy braking, theirs a range of reasons why they could get warped.

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys,

Jacked the car up after wobbling the wheel around there is no movement in the tire whatsoever so the ball joints seem ok, nothing underneath is loose in anyway shape or form. I've checked the discs and pads both in ok and discs are not warped. However after examining the front suspension, there is a rubber casing which naturally covers it, however has come off and shows the bar inside it.There is also a plastic ring around the suspension which is cracked and quite loose. Obviously this was meant to hold the rubber cover, am I right in assuming that is all this does and should not have any affect over my issue. Any further ideas guys, I'm slowly loosing the will to live with my car lol.

Right guys,

Jacked the car up after wobbling the wheel around there is no movement in the tire whatsoever so the ball joints seem ok, nothing underneath is loose in anyway shape or form. I've checked the discs and pads both in ok and discs are not warped. However after examining the front suspension, there is a rubber casing which naturally covers it, however has come off and shows the bar inside it.There is also a plastic ring around the suspension which is cracked and quite loose. Obviously this was meant to hold the rubber cover, am I right in assuming that is all this does and should not have any affect over my issue. Any further ideas guys, I'm slowly loosing the will to live with my car lol.

I can’t visualise the ring you’re looking at mate,

So I’m only making an assumption on this one, by any chance was the seal the rubber one that contains the hydraulic fluid inside the suspension arm, as if they’re is no fluid in the arm this will cause an imbalance and wobble, but it would also sink the car on that side of the car, so it’s probably not it.

• 3 weeks later...

new shape fiestas are at the moment having a few issues with a squeak on slight lock(mainly left hand)at slowish speeds.after loads of investigation the brake pad to caliper metal clip has been the cause of this squeak.remove the clip and check for a touch concern on the disc.the pads also get very tight in the caliper bracket.i'd clean the top and bottom of the pads(removed)and apply a little copper grease to aid pad movement.make sure the shims on the back of the pad are gripped tight to the pad when reinstalling pads.if not its possible to bend the tag tighter to grip the pad.give it a go and see if this cures your noise..

new shape fiestas are at the moment having a few issues with a squeak on slight lock(mainly left hand)at slowish speeds.after loads of investigation the brake pad to caliper metal clip has been the cause of this squeak.remove the clip and check for a touch concern on the disc.the pads also get very tight in the caliper bracket.i'd clean the top and bottom of the pads(removed)and apply a little copper grease to aid pad movement.make sure the shims on the back of the pad are gripped tight to the pad when reinstalling pads.if not its possible to bend the tag tighter to grip the pad.give it a go and see if this cures your noise..

I’ve also read a few weeks ago on the forum, another Fiesta Mk7 owner had trouble with constant squeaking in the front brakes every time he touched the pedal, after checking and verifying there wasn’t any debris or stones trapped in there he took the car to ford and found out my the dealer that the compound used to manufacture the existing pads on the fiesta Mk7 is prone to squeaking,

Ford have since changed both compound and Manufacturer of this part and since they squeaking type serve their purpose and are still completely safe

Ford won’t be making a recall on this part,

they will simply be phased out as cars require new pads.

:ph34r: (nice one Henry Ford)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club