Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Temperature Never Quite Reaches Optimum Always Around 5-10 Degrees Off

sivyer2081

Hi

Wasn't sure whether to put this question here or in the general forum under technical but here goes:

I have a ford focus (56) petrol. Recently (last 4 months) the engine never reaches optimum it's always around 5-10 degrees off and it takes around 2 miles before it starts to warm - can't remember if this is normal or not?

What might be causing the engine not to be reaching optimum temp? There are no engine management lights so do i need to worry or just ignore it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Craig

The thermostat is probably getting a bit lazy and not closing fully. May be worth changing as it will effect your MPG.

you wouldnt have a 1.6 ti vct would you? its normal and to do with the complicated cooling system i know as ive been to fords the temp on diagnostics will be 5 degrees out despite what the gauge says and they know after changing entire cooling systems to get the same result resulting in a ford master tech coming to the garage and telling them its normal for the car in cold weather during the summer it will work normal

Hi artscot79

You're a genious! Yes it's a ti-vct 1.6 petrol. So it's all normal, thought my mpg might be down but as normally i get around 36 combined but now it's 32, but I've only had it since last feb so i guess it may just be because of the cold weather?

So you wouldn't reccommend changing the thermostat?

Thanks again

Hi artscot79

You're a genious! Yes it's a ti-vct 1.6 petrol. So it's all normal, thought my mpg might be down but as normally i get around 36 combined but now it's 32, but I've only had it since last feb so i guess it may just be because of the cold weather?

So you wouldn't reccommend changing the thermostat?

Thanks again

Id leave it and see what its like in the summer like artscot79 says. Its only if the stat gets stuck fully open you need to change it as it will only heat up when stationery and you will always get luke warm air through the vents even when its set to full heat.

Even on the coldest days mine still reaches temp within half a mile, but the cooling system must be much simpler on mine.

MPG drop off is common on most cars in cold weather for many reasons:

- Heaters & heated windows/seats/mirrors on

- Engines don't get up to temp

- Idling while defrosting/de-icing

- Bad weather often makes traffic slower

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club