Show
Photo

Just Bought A Bunch Of Stuff To Clean The Car...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 gumpy321

gumpy321

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

I use SRP and then two coats of Poorboys Nattys paste wax blue. I only apply two coats of wax after a polish. Every month I top up the wax.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Name: graham
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.6TDCi

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

What wax do people use / recommend?

I did my car last weekend. Polishing a car (well, the several stages you have to go through) is probably my least favourite waste of time ever, but I guess there's no avoiding it if you want your car looking good.

polish-wise I used Turtlewax ICE Synthetic paste. About £10 off ebay. Absolutely brilliant stuff, quite waxy, you can polish all the trim too, leaves no residue, great finish, very well recommended.

For the whole process I used Farecla G3 Body Detox, G3 Scratch Remover, G3 Paint Renovator, and a Bilt Hamber medium clay bar (also about £10 off ebay). Total spend including a load of microfibre polishing cloths was about £40.

Body Detox is ok, but probably any wax-free car shampoo would do. The cutting pastes I was less impressed with. They certainly helped but didn't give the miracle result I was hoping for. The clay bar was worth doing though I found it slightly hard work, the BH ones you just lubricate with water. The car was pretty clean so most of the panels didnt need it, though around the sills and bottom of the doors were pretty filthy.

So all the products performed adequately, but I was really impressed with the ICE Synthetic Paste, great stuff. I think they do it in a bottle/liquid form too if you're really lazy!

#33 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Think you've convinced me to clay bar it at least! I've got a week to do it before I move into the new flat (which will make it not impossible, but more difficult to clean!). Hopefully it won't !Removed! it down like it has done a few times this week!

You never know, might end up deciding to polish it before then!

Found the Blit Hamber clay bar on eBay. These things any good?

#34 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

So, would appear I've got the bug, although I've not even washed mine yet! We're getting the girlfriend's car ready to sell (anyone wanna buy a 52 reg Polo btw?!), so washed and polished it at the weekend. Looks absolutely amazing. On my own tonight so just been browsing the net, and guess what... bought Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection!]

Can't wait to give it a bit of TLC! Still not bought the clay yet, no doubt I will soon though!

Will post up pics when she's clean (the car, not the girlfriend :P)

#35 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Steven
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing the results!!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users