#16 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Ok. Point taken, but from the description I think the camera uses signals from the strips buried in the road, and not the white lines, to measure the speed. Unlike the Gatso this camera only takes a single photo and doesn't require human interpretation of the image for speed calculation.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,534 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

The system relies on sensors in the road, any lines are positioned for calibration and reference points.
Speed infringement is calculated by the time taken to cross the sensors.
As the cars details are logged with an ANPR system only one picture is needed which is more for driver recognition than anything else.

#18 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Take Stoney's word for it, he has experience with road traffic law. Those little critters are not in the UK.

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,534 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

Below is a link to a site which has a pretty good handle on all cameras currently in use and on trial within the UK (inc. Northern Ireland).

http://www.speedcame...amera-types.htm

It does not include data on dedicated ANPR (usually the PIPS P362 system) as used in london and various other cities to varying degrees (inc. my home city Plymouth) the data on which can be seen here-

http://www.pipstechn...co.uk/index.php

My patrol vehicle, other Response vehicles and many Traffic dedicated vehicles in the Devon & Cornwall Police area are fitted with the SLATE system but quite a few still also employ the PIPS system due to interoperability with adjacent Police Services in the South West (Avon & Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, South Wales).

PIPS is also increasingly being employed by local Councils, private car parks, toll booths and fuel stations in order to manage parking schemes and enable the issuing of civil enforcement Penalty charge notices (PCN).

#20 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,942 posts
  • Ford Model: Kugy
Contributor

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

With average speed cameras, there are only 2 cameras that actually work when you approach a bunch of them. So if you see 4 in a row then only two will work. Get your passenger to point your phone camera at one and you will see it glow. (don't do this driving.. its dangerous lol) Also they only work in one lane at a time. So changing lane in between prevents the camera catching you (thats why they always ask you to stay in lane ;) )

However, I know that soon, all of these cameras will be connected, in every lane. And also there will be a shed load of Average Speed Detection cameras coming soon.

Expect the pits of miserableness

I know this as I know someone who works in the development of these cameras.

#21 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,310 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

SPECS camera's are awkward, but Steve, I dont quite get what you mean by "point your camera and it will glow" - care to elaborate, as I am confused :P SPECS have on some motorways already and previously been linked to each camera, so even flitting lanes doesnt help, you can try the hard shoulder and risk another ripping as they dont tend to be monitored (not that I am condoning it in any way).

There are many different means by which you can try and hide from the camera's - blind them with full beams at night, switch lanes, pull over, have a cup of tea then disappear again.

I find that the average speed functionality of the dashboard is helpful for specs, trigger it as you go in and review it as you go out the zone...

#22 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,534 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

The camera will produce infrared light for plate illumination which is invisible to your eyes but phone cameras will pick up infrared and therefore you will see if the illumination is working.
BTW, changing lanes on SPECS cameras will make no difference as they are linked via a data network and the designers have covered all the dodges. SORRY.

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,310 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Didnt realise that, might have to give that a go one day!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users