#16 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: Sarah
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

The first mechanic removed the rocker cover before speaking to me. I thought it was necessary to make a diagnosis?

After he'd removed it, he then came and knocked on my door telling me that it was a cracked head.  I'm pretty certain he told me that he could see a faint crack, but I'm now hoping he'd actually used some type of test to decide this.  That was when he said it would cost approx. £1000, but he wouldn't know until he could source parts.  At no point did he mention the snapped bolts.

My second mechanic said that, judging by the amount of rust there was, it was likely to be a core plug problem.  His issue with the bolts was that he wouldn't be able to get a proper seal with the rocker if they weren't removed.  And he's not convinced that they can be.  He was going to contact his engineer to see what he could manage.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

are we talking head bolts or cam cover bolts

#18 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Oh, I don't actually know the answer to that.  The second mechanic showed me 3 snapped bolts, still attached to the head.  He said they were used to fasten the rocker cover securely.  He compared them to a few that had come out without a problem, to show me that they had indeed snapped.

#19 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

right, talking about something completely different

sounds like cam cover bolts, will be a pain to repair but wouldnt condemn a head for this....there are tools about to make the job do-able but would recommend an engineer rather than mechanic unless they are kitted out to do this.

does shed whole new light to problem, what purpose was cam cover removed and where i is this small crack he thought he saw...not starting to sound honest now as this sounds highly unlikely

#20 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

why not get 2nd mechanic to repair core plug, refit cover and then he can retest for further problem...if head is given all clear then start to deal with cam cover bolts...seems fairly straightforward to me

#21 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Second mechanic seemed to think that the bolts needed to be sorted first?  He said an engineer would need to drill the bolts out, otherwise the rocker cover wouldn't seal properly.  I'm trying desperately to remember his exact words, as that's the part I foolishly didn't write down.

Firstly he wanted to replace the core plugs (he felt they're leaking on top of the head causing coolant onto the spark plugs).  Then he also wanted to do a compression test and cylinder leakage test to diagnose the head.

He felt that if the bolts couldn't be removed then I'd need a new head regardless.  So this part isn't exactly accurate?

Thank you so much, btw, for being so incredibly patient with me.  I really appreciate it!

#22 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Core plugs can be diagnosed by removing the spark plugs coolant there would indicate core plugs since its common its even more of a guess so the rocker didnt need removed at all to diagnose to say its a cracked head from a visual inspection when its likely its not is dishonest and poor practice to then snap bolts and not tell you is hiding the fact hes done it again dishonest and bad practice you need a good mechanic to diagnose then claim the repair from the first mechanic and have a decent mechanic do the job hes proved he cant be trusted what else might he hide none of what he did makes sense

#23 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

happy to help

as a temp refit, in order to test for further problems, i really dont see any problem refitting cam cover with bolts missing...tests can be carried out in minutes and worse case scenario would be a minor oil leak whilst carrying out those tests.

dont see the point of repairing cam cover if tests do indeed show further problem which would then entail removing head anyway.

get the core plug done, refit the cover using a small amount of silicone around broken bolts area if necessary, then carry out tests for head/gasket problem and go from there.

#24 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Again, thank you so much!

One last question though - can the car be driven with its 'temp refit'?  I'm only asking as the car is currently on my drive and the second mechanic is not mobile and would like to complete the work in his workshop.

#25 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

arts...yet again you slaughter first mechanic yet know nothing about how he got his original diag....you have no idea if he discovered loss of compression or gasses in coolant...

lets keep perspective...agreed, if he claims he's seen a crack then that would seriously concern me....and i would go with 2nd mechanic for now...do as i suggest and then we can all call the 1st mechanic all the names under the sun as we would then have the full info :)

#26 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

sarah, for short journey, dont see a problem...as said worse case scenario would be a minor leak, and this can be reduced if use a small amount of silicone, if necessary

#27 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Ah, just heard back from my first mechanic.  He says "I couldn't see any evidence of the core plugs at fault but could see hair lines around the cylinder head and there were water bubbles around the lines."

Does this change anything?  I had specifically asked him if any tests had been completed.

#28 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

would be very suspicious of that...doesnt sound at all feasible...stick with 2nd mechanic for now and then see what happens

#29 CdnSarah

CdnSarah

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks!  I've just text him with a plan of action:  replace cover and use silicone where the bolts are snapped.  Replace core plugs.  Test head/gasket problem.  If fine, then get an engineer to drill out the snapped bolts.

I really appreciate everyone's input and patience with me.  I'll come back later in the week and let you know how we get on.  :-)

#30 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

you cant see the area where the gasket is other than that theres nowhere else he could see even with the rcker cover off he wouldnt see that much very suspicious i have to say and im not slating the guy unecessarily from xperience in a garage his professionalism was poor to say the least

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coolant, spark plugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users