Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant bubbling or flow Ford Fiesta MK 7 ecoboost please help :)

Sarah_m12

Hi all,

Im having problems still with coolant levels dropping. Today I checked the fluid in the reservoir while revving the engine, it caused the coolant to bubble violently inside the reservoir (I didn’t open it). It’s like it’s being thrown up everywhere in the tank. Is this just flow or Does this mean my head gasket is dying

its a 63 plate fiesta ecoboost with 50,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Bubbling coolant on 1.0L ecoboost sounds normal, mine use to do it from new, even with the engine off.

If you get a huge amount of white steam from exhaust that would be a sign of head gasket/turbo leaks somewhere.

Bubbling coolant on this engine is perfectly normal, it happens on all of them. 

If you're worried about head gasket check for:

* White steam from exhaust as mentioned by Johnny above

* Milkshake brown coolant or oil

If you're worried about the coolant system in general, just make sure you've had the plastic degas hose recall done and check the turbo coolant pipe for rust. 

There is another known problem with the EcoBoost where the exhaust ports can leak.  This will also allow exhaust into the coolant and bubble in the reservoir.  Using a sniff tester as has been linked above would be the next thing to try imo.  It will prove whether there is exhaust in your coolant or not. 

I have one of these, but the price has shot up since I bought mine, only paid around £20!  https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5524

• 2 weeks later...

My coolant has started bubbling in my 15reg fiesta ecoboost 55k miles. I have started to notice white smoke from my exhaust, I’m now starting to think my head gasket could be the cause but not knowing anything about cars is the head gasket something that goes gradually or more likely to just go with little warning? I do a lot of miles with my kids in the car so worried that if it just goes we r gonna be in trouble!! 

Laurac, when is it bubbling? With the engine running or afterwards? If the latter then this could just be localised boiling and/or the turbo coolant pump running - both perfectly normal. Regarding the white smoke could it just be condensation at startup and when idling? If so, quite common at this time of year. 

I have no idea on cars so probably being paranoid about nothing (or at least hoping so!) so ok the bubbling is when the engine is off after being driven about 15miles so not far noticed it a few times and have had to top coolant up a few times too. The white smoke from my exhaust is when I’m driving it mainly I notice it when I’m reversing, today it happened I’d literally only driven about 2 miles. A friend had mentioned that it could be head gasket going and knowing how many problems the ecoboost have I’m worried that something bad is going to happen

It is difficult to diagnose something like this remotely as the symptoms might not be anything to worry about. It's only the need to keep topping up the coolant that sounds like it might be something (which could just be a small leak). 

A proper check is the only way to be certain and so perhaps for peace of mind you could get it looked at. 

Can’t attach a video of the exhaust it is giving off a white smoke but having seen other cars this morning they all seem to be doing the same so it’s hard for me to decide whether or not this is normal 

White steam is totally normal in this weather.  Frequent coolant top ups shouldn't be necessary though.  Have a sniff test done at a garage for your own peace of mind.

Colder mornings it is pretty normal to get white smoke from exhaust in winter.

Could it not be a simple thing like the thermostat sticking, not opening properly and blocking/interfering with the flow of coolant being able to reach the radiator to cool down. Does your heater warm up as per usual or is it taking longer than it used to. Thermostat for mk7 fiesta about £15 from euro car parts. 

A sticking thermostat would cause other symptoms eg. failure to reach operating temperature or overheating. 

Have noticed that it does take longer for my heaters to get hot, I’m currently borrowing my dads fiesta which isn’t an ecoboost and his gets hot quite quickly 

Be careful making comparisons between different engines, particularly 4 (or more) cylinders vs 3.

If it's a diesel Fiesta it's probably got an electric supplemental heater anyway.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club