Sarah_m12

Coolant bubbling or flow Ford Fiesta MK 7 ecoboost please help :)

Hi all,

Im having problems still with coolant levels dropping. Today I checked the fluid in the reservoir while revving the engine, it caused the coolant to bubble violently inside the reservoir (I didn’t open it). It’s like it’s being thrown up everywhere in the tank. Is this just flow or Does this mean my head gasket is dying

its a 63 plate fiesta ecoboost with 50,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

Bubbling coolant on 1.0L ecoboost sounds normal, mine use to do it from new, even with the engine off.

If you get a huge amount of white steam from exhaust that would be a sign of head gasket/turbo leaks somewhere.

Bubbling coolant on this engine is perfectly normal, it happens on all of them. 

If you're worried about head gasket check for:

* White steam from exhaust as mentioned by Johnny above

* Milkshake brown coolant or oil

If you're worried about the coolant system in general, just make sure you've had the plastic degas hose recall done and check the turbo coolant pipe for rust. 

There is another known problem with the EcoBoost where the exhaust ports can leak.  This will also allow exhaust into the coolant and bubble in the reservoir.  Using a sniff tester as has been linked above would be the next thing to try imo.  It will prove whether there is exhaust in your coolant or not. 

I have one of these, but the price has shot up since I bought mine, only paid around £20!  https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5524