My Ford Fiesta 1.2 16V Flight Temp gauge goes straight above the red soon as ignition is turned on.

Local garage checked coolant temp with diagnostic and it was fine. Temp sensor is also fine. Suggested getting new clocks.Did that and new clocks just the same. Anyone got any ideas, please.

I thought short circuit put temp gauge at top, not open circuit.  ie. the wire between the temp guage and the sensor is touching earth somewhere in between the 2. 

I am sure that is the way it was on 70s cars etc.  I don't know if later ones reversed the way it works. 

I think suggesting new clocks was a bit silly. 

Thanks to all for the advise. Been told the block sensor goes to the ECU and then the ECU sends signal to the gauge ? I do know that as the voltage drops the gauge goes up, so would that be a short on the wire from the ECU and the gauge ? I've tried to get to the ECU to check this wire and although I can get to the bottom of the ECU, by taking the panel off in passengers foot side, I cannot get the ECU out, the socket is at the top hidden by the dash ! It disappears upwards to the left of the dash. Don't want to take the dash out, seems a mission of a job ?

Regards,

Tim.

On a '98 Petrol Fiesta, are there not two temperature sensors ?

One for the ECU, and a second one that goes direct to the Gauge ?