Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Mulfunction Update

Scrufts

Previously posted about my 2012 1.6 tcdi Diesel which has an engine malfunction light come on. It seems to be when the car is under load or you put your foot down. The Engine Malfunction message comes up and the car goes into limp mode.  No acceleration and car starts jolting  ( misfire?) as if it is being strangled. Light clears itself but Autostop switches off.

Well I had a look at all the pipes around the turbo - fine. Tried some turbo cleaner into the manifold end and also put some stuff in the fuel tank. Noticed there was some oil residue in the manifold tube when I took it off. Thought I had sorted it when I went for a test drive but no joy and back to square one. Notice it is hard work for the car to do long slow hills and I crawled up one earlier in 3rd ( so as I went to 4th it was jolting again and losing power.

Think I might have to resign to a diagnostic test and possibly turbo is shot but surprised no codes have come up. Cars sounds ok and no whistling or rattles. Running out of options methinks?

My 2012 1.6 Ecoboost does that about twice a year, light comes on along with limp mode but no codes stored.

I just keep my code reader in the car and do a reset even though it's showing no codes it clears the issue. My mate hooked it up to the Ford diagnostic (IDS?) but no codes shown on that either.

I think it's something to do with the K&N filter I'm running but I'm happy to just reset it a couple of times rather than put the stock filter back in. Funnily enough it's not done it though since it went in for the last recall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:43 PM, Scrufts said:

Previously posted about my 2012 1.6 tcdi Diesel which has an engine malfunction light come on. It seems to be when the car is under load or you put your foot down. The Engine Malfunction message comes up and the car goes into limp mode.  No acceleration and car starts jolting  ( misfire?) as if it is being strangled. Light clears itself but Autostop switches off.

Well I had a look at all the pipes around the turbo - fine. Tried some turbo cleaner into the manifold end and also put some stuff in the fuel tank. Noticed there was some oil residue in the manifold tube when I took it off. Thought I had sorted it when I went for a test drive but no joy and back to square one. Notice it is hard work for the car to do long slow hills and I crawled up one earlier in 3rd ( so as I went to 4th it was jolting again and losing power.

Think I might have to resign to a diagnostic test and possibly turbo is shot but surprised no codes have come up. Cars sounds ok and no whistling or rattles. Running out of options methinks?

A bit of oil in the manifold is normal, especially on this engine, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed as modern diesels REALLY don't like tired/dirty fuel filters?

*update*

I managed to get hold of a decent reader and using Forscan it mentioned fuel pressure. Following various threads on the internet , including Damians advice I had the fuel filter changed and hopefully the car is now back to normal.