Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wobble when braking... again...

n_hudson

So following on from this thread... 

I had my discs and pads changed to Mintex pads and discs from Ford Motorcraft fittings (6 months circa 10k miles - I provided them to the garage), all seemed fine for a while, but now the same side (drivers side) has started to wobble like crazy under (any) braking and slow speeds.  At normal motorway speeds its not noticeable at all. I can't see any significant brake pad debris of the disc, but its defo out of alignment and rubs slightly when the wheels turning.

I'm not colin mcrae and the car lives on the motorway, I haven't had to do any excessive braking and i don't sit on the pedal when stopped.

Could this issue be a hub issue, a bearing failing? I had the passengers side changed after the clutch replacement as the wheel nearing fell off after it was all put back together. I can't feel any significant left/right/up/down movement to suggest it is. I do feel a slight knocking in the steering wheel when driving slowly, but the strut and spring seem fine and there's no issues when going over speed bumps etc or at any normal 20+ speeds nothing seems loose, only when coasting along slowly do I notice anything. 

I would have thought that if the disc was put on out of alignment, i would have noticed straight away. I've had the disc off, scrubbed it and the hub with a wire brush, but its still rubbing and getting worse.

I don want to fit another set of discs\pads just for the same thing to happen in 6 months time. 

Any suggestions before I bite the bullet and pay ford to tell its just a warped disc>?

Cheers people!

Could possibly be a bearing starting to fail? Few months back I had a noise on turning right and on occasion also had stearing wheel wobble on braking. The fact I had the noise turning right (very faint like driving over rumble strip) and with the weight of the car being thrown left guessed that the left hand wheel bearing was on its way out. Stef123 changed out the wheel hub for me which turned out to be ‘shot’ and only really detectable when he got the hub off. I also saw my disk on that side had strange marking/glazing on it (like yours in your original post) which I’m assuming was caused by the slight wobble caused by the bearing. Have you jacked the front wheels up and spun them by hand to see if there is any noise coming from the bearing?

• Like 2

Just as a final check before spending out on new pads/discs/bearings/hub... could it be a dinked alloy? I did this in a pothole years ago and although it wasn't visible when jacked up next to a stand spinning the wheel showed a flat spot. This went on to knacker the bearing (that had properly rusted and meant the whole hub had to be replaced!) 

On 1/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, Smythson said:

Just as a final check before spending out on new pads/discs/bearings/hub... could it be a dinked alloy? I did this in a pothole years ago and although it wasn't visible when jacked up next to a stand spinning the wheel showed a flat spot. This went on to knacker the bearing (that had properly rusted and meant the whole hub had to be replaced!) 

I've had a look. The alloys are unmarked and the tyres are even all over. 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, Russ said:

Could possibly be a bearing starting to fail? Few months back I had a noise on turning right and on occasion also had stearing wheel wobble on braking. The fact I had the noise turning right (very faint like driving over rumble strip) and with the weight of the car being thrown left guessed that the left hand wheel bearing was on its way out. Stef123 changed out the wheel hub for me which turned out to be ‘shot’ and only really detectable when he got the hub off. I also saw my disk on that side had strange marking/glazing on it (like yours in your original post) which I’m assuming was caused by the slight wobble caused by the bearing. Have you jacked the front wheels up and spun them by hand to see if there is any noise coming from the bearing?

I've jacked it up, spun the wheel, but the only noise I can hear is the rub when the disc catches on the pads. I'm not sure how to listen for a hub bearing noise. 

22 minutes ago, n_hudson said:

I've jacked it up, spun the wheel, but the only noise I can hear is the rub when the disc catches on the pads. I'm not sure how to listen for a hub bearing noise. 

You could try moving the pads off the disk by slowly/gently prying them off the disk with a large flat blade screwdriver so the disk runs freely, put the wheel back on (to hold the disk square and tight) then spin the wheel again. After you have retested make sure you depress the brake pedal a few times before driving so you push the pads back into contact with the disk! 

If the bearings on its way out you’ll hear a roughness/rumble when you rotate the wheel.

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1

Check that the very top edge of your pads isn't developing a lip. I had this problem with Mintex pads on a Capri - seemed that the material on the pads was ever so slightly proud of the edge of the brake disc. With use, the lip would encroach onto the outside edge of the disc and caused wheel wobble, especially under braking.

If there is a lip, just shave it off with something.

So, changed the brakes and pads... from this...

IMG_6161.thumb.jpeg.c4de289141ec8bae2709b6f7c7c40f16.jpeg

Quite a bit of pad stuck to the inside edge of the discs. 

So I had a pull and a pride under the car, everything seems fine... except this (hopefully youtube links work?)

There sounds like a knock and maybe a little too much lateral play at the connection at either the drive shaft to gear box or the CV joint to the hub. 

The hub bearing itself sound fine, no grumbling at all.