Deano12

Is this coolant?

Hi all. 

I've been checking my coolant over the last few days and noticed something on one of my engine mounts.

It never seems to get worse nor does it go down. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what it might be?

My level doesn't seem to be going down so at a loss as to what it could be? 

20190212_172948.jpg

20190212_173011.jpg

15 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

Hi all. 

I've been checking my coolant over the last few days and noticed something on one of my engine mounts.

It never seems to get worse nor does it go down. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what it might be?

My level doesn't seem to be going down so at a loss as to what it could be? 

20190212_172948.jpg

20190212_173011.jpg

I can't say for sure but it's got to be a good sign if your coolant level isn't going down.  The engine mounts are oil filled so could be leaking.   Keep an eye on it.

The severe discoloration of the coolant reservoir is one of the symptoms of deterioration of the plastic material. You should inspect the reservoir thoroughly and in case any (micro)cracks are found the coolant reservoir and coolant reservoir cap should be replaced. Based on the severe discoloration I suspect that there is a huge chance that the reservoir already developed (micro)cracks.

Below some pictures of a coolant reservoir that was less than 3 Years old when I changed it. 

uNElXzf.jpg

9vNNMtJ.jpg

0kzBywX.jpg

gV2NKnq.jpg

A new reservoir is clear/white

fUfqc1x.jpg

RXnD2KP.jpg

In case of any doubts the reservoir should and reservoir cap should always be replaced. These are inexpensive parts that can prevent a lot of trouble.

Thank you for that. My paranoia may have paid off if I get that sorted. I won't be able to do it myself, so will have to get a local garage to sort it out. I'm worried though that if a local garage swaps it out they'll mess with the fragile coolant system and it will just develop another fault somewhere else? 

I did rub my hands around the casing after turning it off didnt feel any liquid. I did spill coolant over the top when I topped it up a week ago. Must admit, 10 minute drive, damm the engine gets hot in that time! 

With regards to the mounts and possible leakage, what's the potential damage and cost of replacement? 

Do you have the part number for it at all? Going to order a replacement online.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

Do you have the part number for it at all? Going to order a replacement online.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Go to FordPartsUK enter your reg and your search will show the OEM  part and finis number 👍

59 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Go to FordPartsUK enter your reg and your search will show the OEM  part and finis number 👍

Just had a look. They only do the cap and a hose. 

Found this on eBay? 

Screenshot_20190212-191543_Samsung Internet.jpg

12 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

Just had a look. They only do the cap and a hose. 

Found this on eBay? 

Screenshot_20190212-191543_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nice one!The expansion tank is shown on FordPartsUK like the one you have found on Ebay👍

Well that order was canceled as out of stock - So had to pay a little more @ £23 but its now on its way. 

Found a garage that will fit all this stuff for me (one already turned me down as didn't want to touch the coolant system on this car). So we will see.

Been quoted £195 ex VAT for fitting the complete retrofit system inc electric pump. Just needed to source the bits myself.

At least once its done I should be able to rest easy.

I found that my coolant tank had a crack on the underside of it due to the coolant pooling in the exact same place as your first pic.

You may aswell change it now so you have some piece of mind!