RockandGrohl

How have you hidden your dashcam cables on your Fiesta? (2013-2018)

Recommended Posts

After my fourth near miss in 7 days driving in Cheltenham, the capital of UK's arsehole drivers, I'm investing in a dashcam because it's just a matter of time before someone smacks my car.

 

I want to have a really inconspicuous cable situation, not a fan of the dangling wire everywhere set up. How easy is it to get under the roof trim? And where should I even connect the cable to?

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have a dash cam installed and the wires are fairly easy to hide under the trim and bring down to the fuse box. That brings me into how to power it and that really depends on your preference. You can either piggy back it onto a fuse or use the 12v socket in your car. All depends on what you want the dash cam to do and how operation-free you’d like it to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First awsome name I love the foo fighters too! Second I live in Cheltenham too and I got a dash cam for the same reason, taix are my favourite dam iv had some close ones lol,

iv got an older fester 2006 mk5 but iv ran mine from behind the rear view mirror, around the sun visor then down the plastic on the piller, and up against the dash then under the glove box with some good old duck tape to the plug!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RockandGrohl said:

After my fourth near miss in 7 days driving in Cheltenham, the capital of UK's arsehole drivers, I'm investing in a dashcam because it's just a matter of time before someone smacks my car.

 

I want to have a really inconspicuous cable situation, not a fan of the dangling wire everywhere set up. How easy is it to get under the roof trim? And where should I even connect the cable to?

 

Cheers.

what i did was run the cable (dash cam end) from the headlining, down the side of the left A pillar trim (by removing the door seal on the car) then into the fusebox area (by removing the side cover from the left side of the dash) from here you can either just piggy back of a fuse (i used the 7.5 amp fuse for the gauge cluster) or you can run the cable behind the glovebox, along the trans tunnel and plug into the lighter socket. either way just has the cable visible where it comes out of the head lining to connect to the dash cam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lovemyfester said:

First awsome name I love the foo fighters too! Second I live in Cheltenham too and I got a dash cam for the same reason, taix are my favourite dam iv had some close ones lol,

iv got an older fester 2006 mk5 but iv ran mine from behind the rear view mirror, around the sun visor then down the plastic on the piller, and up against the dash then under the glove box with some good old duck tape to the plug!! 

you know you can remove the glovebox and run it behind (especially as that is the same way you get to the fuse box) which removes the need for the duck tape which in my mind does not look that great for whoever is in the car with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your dash cam is attached to the top of the windscreen, the best way to route the cable is straight up and behind the headliner, then across to the passenger side A pillar run it to the bottom of the A pillar then into your fuse box area where you can piggy back off a suitable fuse. The only bit of the cable which will be visible will be from the dash cam to the headliner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

If your dash cam is attached to the top of the windscreen, the best way to route the cable is straight up and behind the headliner, then across to the passenger side A pillar run it to the bottom of the A pillar then into your fuse box area where you can piggy back off a suitable fuse. The only bit of the cable which will be visible will be from the dash cam to the headliner 

This is what I had done for me when mine was fitted.  Very discrete when combined with the wedge shaped camera I'm using. 

It's hardwired as the 12v on my MK8 is constant live (either that or it's left on for too long than I would be happy with). 

Only annoying part of the placement on the MK8 is it misses a fair bit of the left view due to the sensor box on the windscreen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can hide the wires good but in my opinion buy  either a very small one or one that aint like a brick stuck to the window.

Mine is the A119 and sticks on the plastic mirror surround so don't hardly know its there from outside and wires around top of window to a ignition Hardwire.

I aint the one for having it on 24/7 as the least the better on battery drain even if its very slight as they all add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone recommend which fuse to piggy-back off? I was tempted to place 2 fuses in the piggy-back and just use a blank slot, but didn't know if that would work. 

Currently have my dashcam hidden infront of the passenger side rear-view mirror, and cables running down that column. Works very well and never notice it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used fuse 42 in the passenger compartment box, it is for the rear view camera if installed and rated at 7.5A.

Few points;

  • I don't have a rear view camera in my ST.
  • This fuse is not live when the ignition is off

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.