Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 focus ti vct buying advice

Scottyt79

Hello all Just joined here and I’m going to look at a 2011 focus zetec 1.6 tivct with 76000 mls tomorrow 

Apart from the usual checks is there anything in particular I should be looking for on these and how reliable are they? Many thanks Scott 

• Like 1

From what I’ve heard, the early MK3’s aren’t particularly reliable and have a lot of build quality issues which @TomsFocus can explain like leaky seals, broken AC etc. Perhaps look at getting a late MK2.5 instead as the early Mk2 issues had been ironed out, they’re better looking and cheaper too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scottyt79 said:

Hello all Just joined here and I’m going to look at a 2011 focus zetec 1.6 tivct with 76000 mls tomorrow 

Apart from the usual checks is there anything in particular I should be looking for on these and how reliable are they? Many thanks Scott 

Can I ask how much it's up for sale? 

36 minutes ago, iantt said:

Can I ask how much it's up for sale? 

It’s up for £4700 from a dealer 1 owner full service history 

Check the spare wheel well isn't full of water.

Check the air conditioning works.

Check all the electrics inside work, particularly horn, stereo and steering wheel buttons.

I must admit, £4700 seems a lot for an 8 year old Zetec with average miles and the least desirable engine.

• Like 1

Ask if there is any paperwork for it having any work done on the steering rack. Early mk3s were the first with electric power steering and quite a few had problems where the power steering would not start up or even fail while driving. I had to replace my steering rack as it is a complete unit. A refurbished unit costs around £300 to £400 while a new one from Ford is around £1200 fitted.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ColW said:

Ask if there is any paperwork for it having any work done on the steering rack. Early mk3s were the first with electric power steering and quite a few had problems where the power steering would not start up or even fail while driving. I had to replace my steering rack as it is a complete unit. A refurbished unit costs around £300 to £400 while a new one from Ford is around £1200 fitted.

The 1.6 tivct uses a normal rack so at least that's not an issue.

Think I will be giving that car a miss it wasn’t really presented well various marks on panels which would easily polish out marks on seats door cards rust on the tailgate above no plate even the alloys weren’t cleaned right and you could see that the car has had some sort of valet,yes I know it’s an 8 year old car but from a main dealer group was expecting it to be better presented than it was also the usual warrantys etc is all extra even charge you for fuel they put so back to the drawing board on the search lol thanks for all the help and advice bear all that in mind for the next one I go to look at 

• Like 1

Pity your so far away from me, I'm considering selling my focus .

Mine is a 2011 1.6 titanium ti-vct and it is definitely an electric powered rack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColW said:

Mine is a 2011 1.6 titanium ti-vct and it is definitely an electric powered rack.

Ok, I got it wrong, lol  I've done power steering pumps on MK3 focus tivct,  it was the powershift version. So manual transmission is electric then. Been a few years since I've seen the older MK3 tivct. All I come across now is MK3.5 with ecoboost or stinky 1.5 tdci. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club