Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch screen freezes

George661

During a drive home today, the touch screen display froze and got very warm. When I stopped and turned off the ignition, took the key out, the display stayed on. After around half an hour it went off. Started up again and seems to be back to normal. Anyone else had this problem with the 2019 Focus?

Exactly the same problem here, I've only had it happen once and luckily it's not happened since. I was unplugging the USB stick when

it happened , probably just a coincidence.  I'm just glad it put itself right. I've got a 2018 Ecosport but I'm guessing the sync 3 touch

screen is the same.

13 hours ago, George661 said:

During a drive home today, the touch screen display froze and got very warm. When I stopped and turned off the ignition, took the key out, the display stayed on. After around half an hour it went off. Started up again and seems to be back to normal. Anyone else had this problem with the 2019 Focus?

Very common, switch off the WiFi updates feature. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I had this and also the reversing camera displayed when going forwards up to 5mph. Seems to have stopped since latest update downloaded in July. Unfortunately now I'm getting the emergency assistance malfunction displaying for most journeys and no voice on TA, text message read, Sat nav instructions or voice promps. When this is happening the radio volume is reduced by about 3 notches and warning tones are screechy. After in dealers for a day was informed all known problems which Ford are working on but no idea when a fix will be available.

Not good enough to have purchased a new Focus and getting these problems without any information when they will be fixed

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 6:39 PM, George661 said:

On 10/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, billc said:

I had this and also the reversing camera displayed when going forwards up to 5mph. Seems to have stopped since latest update downloaded in July. Unfortunately now I'm getting the emergency assistance malfunction displaying for most journeys and no voice on TA, text message read, Sat nav instructions or voice promps. When this is happening the radio volume is reduced by about 3 notches and warning tones are screechy. After in dealers for a day was informed all known problems which Ford are working on but no idea when a fix will be available.

Not good enough to have purchased a new Focus and getting these problems without any information when they will be fixed

• 1 month later...

Exactly same thing happened to me today, screen froze and didn’t switch off for a few minutes after engine was off. Sorted itself out after 5 minutes but annoying when your driving and have to pull over. Focus 2019.

It's a well known Sync3 glitch that can happen occasionally on any vehicle. There were some updates that were supposed to resolve this last year. I certainly haven't had it happen since.

The handbook tells you how to perform  soft and factory reset to reset screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

It's a well known Sync3 glitch that can happen occasionally on any vehicle. There were some updates that were supposed to resolve this last year. I certainly haven't had it happen since.

The handbook tells you how to perform  soft and factory reset to reset screen.

+1 happens every frosty morning on my Pioneer AVH X8600BT headunit which weren't cheap back in 2017 cost me over 600 pounds 

I warm it with the palm of my hand to get it functioning quicker when required; I usually use the steering controls but sometimes need to use the touch screen in order to turn on the sub woofer; as I turn it off on sundays when taking our dog Liam to the forest. 

Anyways +1 happens on alot of touch screens, 

Happened to me on my older Sync 2 a few weeks ago,
I was playing USB tracks and the screen was unresponsive after I parked, screen stayed on with ignition off,
as soon as I unplugged the USB stick it recovered and switched off.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:38 AM, iantt said:

Very common, switch off the WiFi updates feature. 

Swich off wi-fi altogether and update the system following the directions on the Ford UK site

Hi

I have a 2019 New Ford Focus Titanium purchased in August 2019.

It has worked well until this morning.

After a heavy snow fall last night the touch screen didn't respond when the car was switched on at 9am.

The screen started working again when switched back on at 10am. (probably when it thawed out)

I spoke to the local dealer who sold me the car.  They were not aware of any problem with the touch screen operation on the New Focus and said I should phone them if it happens again.

Anyone had similar experience and is this a known fault which should be fixed?

Thanks

JS

On 1/28/2020 at 7:53 PM, JS2910 said:

Hi

I have a 2019 New Ford Focus Titanium purchased in August 2019.

It has worked well until this morning.

After a heavy snow fall last night the touch screen didn't respond when the car was switched on at 9am.

The screen started working again when switched back on at 10am. (probably when it thawed out)

I spoke to the local dealer who sold me the car.  They were not aware of any problem with the touch screen operation on the New Focus and said I should phone them if it happens again.

Anyone had similar experience and is this a known fault which should be fixed?

Thanks

JS

Actually, JS, this is not quite accurate information from your dealer. The screen freeze ups are a problem for many of us. It is a well known problem on the new Ford Focus. The good news is that with persistence, and dealer updates and home updates using USB, they can be reduced. How to install a USB update is quite straightforward. You use your VIN number to find out if there is one available and follow the directions. Other members have also posted very good guidance on various forums.  I am hoping after a year of the screen freeze annoyance  and other issues, that at least the screen and navigation on my car are now fixed. Other posters have advised switching off the WiFi update system as a first resort. This certainly helps the situation. I believe the updates I had at the dealer last week have now fixed this issue. 

• 10 months later...

I just got a problem with my 2019 Ford Focus Titanium. When trying to call someone from the Sync 3 screen, the car doesn't call and just stays dark with the contact name above. Pls help, the dealer dosn't know either what to do.

• 4 months later...

I have a focus 19 plate st line. And have been suffering with the screen going blank when you start the car a night time, and no response, It’s now been back to Ford 3 times and still not fixed. The trouble being is getting the car to fault in the garage. Today though had another update by Ford, went to pick up and started car at the Ford garage in daylight and the screen is not working, pretty annoying but at least they can see the fault now. 

1 hour ago, Robms said:

I have a focus 19 plate st line. And have been suffering with the screen going blank when you start the car a night time, and no response, It’s now been back to Ford 3 times and still not fixed. The trouble being is getting the car to fault in the garage. Today though had another update by Ford, went to pick up and started car at the Ford garage in daylight and the screen is not working, pretty annoying but at least they can see the fault now. 

Turn wi-fi off and automatic updates in the settings.

Check on Ford UK for an update.

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Turn wi-fi off and automatic updates in the settings.

Check on Ford UK for an update.

Thanks for info, but Ford are now replacing touch screen, as the tech guy came out with his laptop and logged in while the car had the fault. So hopefully that will do it, if not at least i know that it’s been changed and can’t be that. 
the car has had 3 updates done by Ford. 
thanks 

• 3 months later...

I have a 2018 focus st line x screen just freezes all the time. Plugged the phone in and my music doesn’t play through it. Did the traditional turn off the ignition and turn it on again. music just cuts out and doesn’t play after. Anyone know a solution? Would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having very similar issues with my 19 plate Ford Fiesta. Since winter 2019 my screen has been intermittently freezing staying  black when I turn engine on. The radio always works. 
It has now been back to the dealership three times for software updates and fixes. The screen is only doing this on cold mornings so any morning below ten degrees so for us in Scotland that’s mid September to April. By lunchtime and for the rest of the day if the car has been out in the morning  the screen seems to be absolutely fine. 
I have just received a voucher for £250 from the dealership head office for the inconvenience. Which is lovely  However I would  really just like my multimedia screen to work all the time. 

Hi Susan, I have seen very simlar faults on industrial touch screens on machines, in fact I have replaced more than a hundred over the years. The touch screen uses a system of capacitance to detect the place on the screen you have touched. When the screens have a fault and are cold the screen membrane acts as if the whole of the screen is being touched and the screen video control just blanks the screen.

• Like 1