Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shakey steering wheel when braking

MondeoGuy

So I took car to garage last Friday after having a puncture and the tyre needing to be replaced so got this done and wqs told all was ok with the balancing, job done. 

Saturday I drove about 10 miles and noticed what felt like knocking/juddering on the wheel that the tyre had being replaced on. Had a look and checked the nuts were all tight and they were so carried on and came home. 

Today I have gone out about 36 miles round trip but a lot of little villages and bendy roads and have noticed that the steering wheel has a judder when braking but the knocking seems to have near on stopped (only hard braking it is noticeable now) 

This judder or knocking sound when braking was never there before I got the puncture but the Brake discs and pads are near on new, there has been no errors come up on the dash and the brakes work fine so I am stumped as to what it is causing this. 

I called the garage but spoke to voicemail and have left a message asking for a call back as I dont think something is right and am yet to receive a call back (I will get down there Friday depeneding on what is said here) 

I wonder if your wheel somehow got damaged while you drove with a  flat tyre? 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 10:07 PM, MondeoGuy said:

So I took car to garage last Friday after having a puncture and the tyre needing to be replaced so got this done and wqs told all was ok with the balancing, job done. 

Saturday I drove about 10 miles and noticed what felt like knocking/juddering on the wheel that the tyre had being replaced on. Had a look and checked the nuts were all tight and they were so carried on and came home. 

Today I have gone out about 36 miles round trip but a lot of little villages and bendy roads and have noticed that the steering wheel has a judder when braking but the knocking seems to have near on stopped (only hard braking it is noticeable now) 

This judder or knocking sound when braking was never there before I got the puncture but the Brake discs and pads are near on new, there has been no errors come up on the dash and the brakes work fine so I am stumped as to what it is causing this. 

I called the garage but spoke to voicemail and have left a message asking for a call back as I dont think something is right and am yet to receive a call back (I will get down there Friday depeneding on what is said here) 

Have you checked that they did all the bolts up tight?

It may also be coincidence, the rotors (discs) may be warped? Juddering brakes is a tell tale that warping is present. It's also possible that when they removed a wheel, assuming they balanced off of the vehicle, they got some debris between the hub and the rotor (disc) [forgive me, I was brought up in England but have lived in the US for more than twenty five years, the nomenclature gets pickled].

I've only just changed all pads and disks yesterday, under braking at any level shaking, what irritated me was when you slow right down barely having foot on brake you can really feel the warping on the disks, try to apply the handbrake slightly without the footbrake engaged while traveling say 15/20mph and feel if the brakes are grabbing and letting go, that will rule out the backs anyway 

15 hours ago, Mondeost said:

I've only just changed all pads and disks yesterday, under braking at any level shaking, what irritated me was when you slow right down barely having foot on brake you can really feel the warping on the disks, try to apply the handbrake slightly without the footbrake engaged while traveling say 15/20mph and feel if the brakes are grabbing and letting go, that will rule out the backs anyway 

If the 'grabbing and letting go' is related to you applying and releasing the parking brake, then that could rule out the rears, but if you are applying a constant pressure on the parking brake and it does the 'grabbing and letting go', it may not 'rule' them out!

The only way to be sure there is a 'misaligned' rotor (disk), is to get each wheel off the ground and spin it slowly with even rotating pressure as you turn it. If it feels like you have resistance at any point (rotate a few times and use a crayon to reference the point at which it happens), then there is a good chance that either the rotor (disk) is warped, or it is misaligned (possibly due to debris between it and the hub face). You can also repeat this while having someone gently applying braking as you do. If everything is in line and there is no surface damage on the rotor (disk) the resistance as braking is applied should be even and random in respect of wheel rotational position.

The only thing that could possibly create a similar event is if there is contamination in your brake lines and an obstruction is interfering with hydraulics. Or, a line is damaged to a degree where the flow is effectively 'oscillating'. I have been in vehicle development for 35+ years and have only ever seen this sort of thing once!

Of course none of these rule out the possibility that there is a bad ball joint (for example) somewhere! You should check all joints as well, again with the wheel off the ground move joints by hand to see if there is any play in them, I'd actually recommend a dealership for this!

• Like 1

Good write up there👍 didn't think about a few things to look for there, good advise 🙂