MondeoGuy

MK4 Blank of EGR or not?

Have got tit x sport tdci 2.0 140 09 plate and have noticed that when it is cold and I go to pull away or reverse, especially up a gradient she just wants to stall. 

Have had a look online and read that blanking the egr could stop this so have just ordered a plate but after ordering I have now read that 1) after so many miles the MK4 will chuck eml due to not using vacuum and sexondly I should have got the plate with the hole through it to allow less gasses through 

The car is old so I am hoping someone has done this and can talk from experienfe benefits or negatives 

On 10/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, MondeoGuy said:

Have got tit x sport tdci 2.0 140 09 plate and have noticed that when it is cold and I go to pull away or reverse, especially up a gradient she just wants to stall. 

Have had a look online and read that blanking the egr could stop this so have just ordered a plate but after ordering I have now read that 1) after so many miles the MK4 will chuck eml due to not using vacuum and sexondly I should have got the plate with the hole through it to allow less gasses through 

The car is old so I am hoping someone has done this and can talk from experienfe benefits or negatives 

1: Your engine will almost certainly chuck a wobbler once an EGR blanking plate is fitted.

2: Fitting a plate with a hole in it makes about as much sense as using a colander as a bucket.  The intention when fitting a blanking plate is to stop ALL the hot/dirty/oily exhaust gases being recirculated through the inlet and gradually blocking everything up.  It's kind of an all of nothing sort of scenario.

On 10/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, MondeoGuy said:

The car is old so I am hoping someone has done this and can talk from experience benefits or negatives 

a 2009 model is unlikely to throw up an EML after blanking and if it does it will automatically stop after a few weeks of driving when it gets used to the increased air flow. 

a good addition to blanking is to purchase a green cotton induction filter or a K&N both are direct replacement and allow for increased air flow, since there will be up to 20% more fresh air flowing in to your engine where it was previously up to 20% of waste gasses depending on acceleration, you should see an increase of 0.3Mpg when blanked too, so the plate will eventually pay for itself, 

ive got a 2010 focus blanked it after two moths of ownership, its now got 325,000km on the clock and the original turbo which was supposed to blow between 90-140,000km never happened partially due to blanking the EGR, I never got an EML atall the later mk3 focus has a sensor to detect blanking but earlier models didn't.

however if blanking your mondeo throws up a consistent EML you can then get it mapped out, however keep the blanking plate in place, 

a good installation tip is to get some tape either mashing or insulation tape and create a tab on the side of the blanking plate like a sticky post-it not on the edge of a document; this gives you something to hold when your sliding the blanking plate in to place.