IRONMAN

Dipped beam

Recommended Posts

Hi All, I'm looking for recommendations for (H7) dipped beam bulb upgrade, preferably a pure white without going HID. I've had night breaker laser but their still on the green side, any recommendations would be fantastic, Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not possible to get a pure white halogen.  You'd either have to go HID or LED.

I've got Phillips WhiteVision H7s in mine, but they're still a bit yellow.  They now do a WhiteVision Ultra which should be a little whiter again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's not possible to get a pure white halogen.  You'd either have to go HID or LED.

I've got Phillips WhiteVision H7s in mine, but they're still a bit yellow.  They now do a WhiteVision Ultra which should be a little whiter again.

Thanks Tom I should have said white, not pure white sorry 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's not possible to get a pure white halogen.  You'd either have to go HID or LED.

I've got Phillips WhiteVision H7s in mine, but they're still a bit yellow.  They now do a WhiteVision Ultra which should be a little whiter again.

Tom is correct, as far as I'm aware even the Philips WhiteVision ultra are rated with a colour temperature of 4200k. I have owned HID and LED in the past, both properly white, but both rated at 6000k.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom is correct, as far as I'm aware even the Philips WhiteVision ultra are rated with a colour temperature of 4200k. I have owned HID and LED in the past, both properly white, but both rated at 6000k.

 

Thanks Stephen, I've heard the HID kits can burn out the wiring, that's why I want to avoid them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used HID bulbs for over 6 years (before changing to LEDs), the only issue I ever had was the odd ballast failing, and a bulb failing - otherwise, all I had was a very bright beam!

Thought I had a comparison of HIDs, but could only find a photo of LEDs...

1793092109_bulbcomparison.thumb.jpg.db53c03358f2e1e7ddf4ac76f3166abf.jpg

Just found the before/after with HID bulbs...

415929188_beforeafterHIDplateblank.thumb.jpg.6873318dcff5e794ebff3576bf35aef1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I used HID bulbs for over 6 years (before changing to LEDs), the only issue I ever had was the odd ballast failing, and a bulb failing - otherwise, all I had was a very bright beam!

Thought I had a comparison of HIDs, but could only find a photo of LEDs...

1793092109_bulbcomparison.thumb.jpg.db53c03358f2e1e7ddf4ac76f3166abf.jpg

Just found the before/after with HID bulbs...

415929188_beforeafterHIDplateblank.thumb.jpg.6873318dcff5e794ebff3576bf35aef1.jpg

Looks good Stephen, any chance you would have a brand name or supplier, Cheers👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

Looks good Stephen, any chance you would have a brand name or supplier, Cheers👍

Sorry buddy, it was a few years ago now, I'm a huge Ebay fan so that's 'where' I bought them, but the actual specifics are long gone I'm afraid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sorry buddy, it was a few years ago now, I'm a huge Ebay fan so that's 'where' I bought them, but the actual specifics are long gone I'm afraid...

No prob, Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IRONMAN said:

Thanks Stephen, I've heard the HID kits can burn out the wiring, that's why I want to avoid them

You also can't just stick HIDs in reflector style headlights. You need to change to projectors (most important part). Then install the self levelling motors/wiring and have working headlight washer jets to be road legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

You also can't just stick HIDs in reflector style headlights. You need to change to projectors (most important part). Then install the self levelling motors/wiring and have working headlight washer jets to be road legal.

You've just reminded me, it's when the law changed to mandate headlight washers that I sought out an LED solution. In all the years I ran HIDs, they passed every MOT, including obviously the headlamp adjustment. As far as I was concerned at the time, they were simply a much superior light that the Victorian filament alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

You also can't just stick HIDs in reflector style headlights. You need to change to projectors (most important part). Then install the self levelling motors/wiring and have working headlight washer jets to be road legal.

Cheers Luke, I think I'll look for some led's 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.