Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear foglight(s)

Martin Wray

I have a 2017 Mondeo Vignale. There’s only one rear fog light (offside) but the near side light fitting appears to have space for the bulbs, I’ve spoken to Ford who say if there’s no bulb there will not be any wiring, and it’s apparently a job they’re not interested in doing. It was the same when I spoke to another automotive electrical fitter.

For a top of the range car I’m disappointed it didn’t come with 2 rear fog lights in the first place. Does anyone know if the wiring can be extended to the near side or will it affect the cars ‘brain’. (Canbus or something like that)

thanks

You can do it but it's a lot of messing about for very little gain. 

Alternatively you can buy an EU tail lamp with the fog lamp on the other side. 

Mondeo Mk5 group, feel free to join for more answers and tips

https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/?ref=share

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Martin Wray said:

I have a 2017 Mondeo Vignale. There’s only one rear fog light (offside) but the near side light fitting appears to have space for the bulbs, I’ve spoken to Ford who say if there’s no bulb there will not be any wiring, and it’s apparently a job they’re not interested in doing. It was the same when I spoke to another automotive electrical fitter.

For a top of the range car I’m disappointed it didn’t come with 2 rear fog lights in the first place. Does anyone know if the wiring can be extended to the near side or will it affect the cars ‘brain’. (Canbus or something like that)

thanks

Generally you will find all vehicles will only have one rear guard fog lamp that illuminates on the off side of the vehicle . This is a safety feature and not a styling feature. It has been done this way so as not to be confused with brake lights. However depending on the country the vehicle will be purchased  The lamp can be adapted to illuminate from whatever side is required savings manufacturing the need to create a different lamp fitting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Robhonda said:

Generally you will find all vehicles will only have one rear guard fog lamp that illuminates on the off side of the vehicle . This is a safety feature and not a styling feature. It has been done this way so as not to be confused with brake lights. However depending on the country the vehicle will be purchased  The lamp can be adapted to illuminate from whatever side is required savings manufacturing the need to create a different lamp fitting 

Most vehicles I’ve had, including many Fords have generally had 2 rear fog lamps, inc my last car which was a Kuga Titanium. Although I have not taken things apart to look for myself, I don’t believe there is any wiring to the rear nearside lamp cluster. In days gone by you could simply extend the wiring from the offside but I am aware that the cars brain has some kind of software built in to detect a drop in voltage due to a bulb blowing and it then displays a warning on the dash. If I extended the wiring and added a bulb thus increasing the overall voltage, would it work.

I just accepted your request to join the group mate 👍

Just now, Martin Wray said:

Most vehicles I’ve had, including many Fords have generally had 2 rear fog lamps, inc my last car which was a Kuga Titanium. Although I have not taken things apart to look for myself, I don’t believe there is any wiring to the rear nearside lamp cluster. In days gone by you could simply extend the wiring from the offside but I am aware that the cars brain has some kind of software built in to detect a drop in voltage due to a bulb blowing and it then displays a warning on the dash. If I extended the wiring and added a bulb thus increasing the overall voltage, would it work.

The wiring isn't there you're right. I don't think it would cause an issue, if it did you could swap the lamps and use LEDs as they draw less power so shouldn't 'upset' the ECU. Failing that you could most likely disable the warning using Forscan.

21 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I just accepted your request to join the group mate 👍

Thanks Jonro2009, just having a look around, seems there is a wealth of info on here, plus lots more stuff I didn’t know about.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, Robhonda said:

Thanks for that Ribhonda. I’m new to this forum so I’m slowly having a look around. I like what I see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrevorB said:

TrevorB, brilliant. I had a gander and there seems to be a shed load of discussion about the matter. Now I just gotta figure out what advice to take.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martin Wray said:

TrevorB, brilliant. I had a gander and there seems to be a shed load of discussion about the matter. Now I just gotta figure out what advice to take.

TrevorB, on page 3 I think of your link (a talk Ford forum) there’s some chap called fordy1 who solved the problem but I’m not sure if he’s saying he bought a left hand side rear light cluster for a left hand drive model or just the bulbs. I can’t reply to his message because the site is undergoing some kind of maintenance and it’s been temporarily disabled. What do you make of it please.

Hi Martin, as I see it Fordy one purchased a complete rear light cluster for a LHD veh

Not quite sure what you mean about site maintenance and you cant send him a message.

Are you registered as a member to talk ford - costs nothing to register - you need to be registered to send pm etc. (Note, I see he has not logged onto to site since Nov 2020)

31 minutes ago, Martin Wray said:

Thanks for that Ribhonda. I’m new to this forum so I’m slowly having a look around. I like what I see.

👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club