Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


REMAP Questions - MK7 Fiesta ST-Line 140 Black Edition


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I have been looking into getting a remap done on my 2017 MK7 Fiesta ST-Line 140hp (fully serviced, now out of warranty). After doing a fair amount of research, it looks like my car should be able to handle the extra power as it has a number of mechanical improvements over the 125hp and 100hp variants. However, of course I would much prefer to get the opinion of those that already have experience with remaps, especially on 1L Fiestas! 

After looking at several options, I have settled on remapping my car using Superchip/Bluefin/Remap Kings (all the same company apparently) and they have a pretty extreme stage one tune:

 Screenshot_8.thumb.png.93d7da156bfdf25f607da7dd8d3ed31b.png 

Would greatly appreciate any comments on what you think of the company, your experience (if any) with them and whether you have had any issues with remaps (I read that overheating was an issue? Also read that most remap problems with this engine happen with the Focus and not the Fiesta?). I also welcome those calling me a moron for wanting more power out of a 140hp 1L as I totally get it lol. 

I did look into doing dyno tuning instead of just sticking a pre-made map on my car but the opinions on that were mixed and it sounds like I should get a very solid tune out of the superchip tune anyway (again, to my knowledge).

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Spooki changed the title to REMAP Questions - MK7 Fiesta ST-Line 140 Black Edition
2 hours ago, Spooki said:

Hi all,

I have been looking into getting a remap done on my 2017 MK7 Fiesta ST-Line 140hp (fully serviced, now out of warranty). After doing a fair amount of research, it looks like my car should be able to handle the extra power as it has a number of mechanical improvements over the 125hp and 100hp variants. However, of course I would much prefer to get the opinion of those that already have experience with remaps, especially on 1L Fiestas! 

After looking at several options, I have settled on remapping my car using Superchip/Bluefin/Remap Kings (all the same company apparently) and they have a pretty extreme stage one tune:

 Screenshot_8.thumb.png.93d7da156bfdf25f607da7dd8d3ed31b.png 

Would greatly appreciate any comments on what you think of the company, your experience (if any) with them and whether you have had any issues with remaps (I read that overheating was an issue? Also read that most remap problems with this engine happen with the Focus and not the Fiesta?). I also welcome those calling me a moron for wanting more power out of a 140hp 1L as I totally get it lol. 

I did look into doing dyno tuning instead of just sticking a pre-made map on my car but the opinions on that were mixed and it sounds like I should get a very solid tune out of the superchip tune anyway (again, to my knowledge).

Thanks!

This is interesting, usually superchips give a smaller gain. Do you have a diesel engine, and/or is it a turbo? These types of engines have a much larger gain than petrol n/a vehicles.

I don’t think you are wrong to want more power, do what ever it is you want to do with your own car, and don’t let any one tell you different. 
 

Where did you hear about dyno tune? I have enquired myself, but as it seems, not so many rolling roaders have the software to “live” tune Fiestas or even get into the ECU to use rollers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

This is interesting, usually superchips give a smaller gain. Do you have a diesel engine, and/or is it a turbo? These types of engines have a much larger gain than petrol n/a vehicles.

I don’t think you are wrong to want more power, do what ever it is you want to do with your own car, and don’t let any one tell you different. 
 

Where did you hear about dyno tune? I have enquired myself, but as it seems, not so many rolling roaders have the software to “live” tune Fiestas or even get into the ECU to use rollers.

Petrol 1.0L with a turbo. I have a friend who used to work with cars and he recommended using a dyno tuner over a chip. The main reason a chip appeals more to me is because it has been tried and tested far more than a custom dyno tune where you rely on the expertise on the person you're with.

I was surprised as well by the power increase for a stage one. Almost to the point of being worrying. When I spoke to the guy at Superchip he told me my engine is 'bulletproof' and he has done more of my engine than he has any other car and hasn't had a single car come back to him with an issue. Sounds like marketing speech to me, aka bullshit but he seemed like a nice guy...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

From what I have seen, the weakpoint of the mk7.5 is the Gearbox. As long as the gearbox can handle it, then it should be fine.

Funny you say this, I have already had a replacement gearbox under warranty as third gear would grind whenever I went into the gear at higher speeds. Are you just suggesting I be careful with the gearbox with this tune?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Spooki said:

Funny you say this, I have already had a replacement gearbox under warranty as third gear would grind whenever I went into the gear at higher speeds. Are you just suggesting I be careful with the gearbox with this tune?

 

Ive read it on a few threads on hear before (cant find them now), that the mk7.5 gearbox isn't rated for much more torque than is already standard in the 140 engines.

I could be completely wrong though. There is always a risk with remapping, but bluefins seem to be popular with the 1.0 ecoboosts and ive not seen anyone have problems with them on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange, I keep looking at remaps just out of interest and haven't come across the 174 bhp tune on the sites mentioned - only the "usual" 155 or so.

Whatever, Ford ran a prototype at around 177bhp with no problems when the 1.0 ecoboost first came out. I think they were even considering it for the ST but went for the 1.6 as we know. Pumaspeed have run one (featured on their website) at 200ps. Again, no reported issues with the engine as such, but the gearbox was wilting a bit.

As you have already found, this can be a problem even on a standard 140. Some members have converted to a Focus 6 speed because of this (great thread by @Eatonm112 on this).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Strange, I keep looking at remaps just out of interest and haven't come across the 174 bhp tune on the sites mentioned - only the "usual" 155 or so.

Whatever, Ford ran a prototype at around 177bhp with no problems when the 1.0 ecoboost first came out. I think they were even considering it for the ST but went for the 1.6 as we know. Pumaspeed have run one (featured on their website) at 200ps. Again, no reported issues with the engine as such, but the gearbox was wilting a bit.

As you have already found, this can be a problem even on a standard 140. Some members have converted to a Focus 6 speed because of this (great thread by @Eatonm112 on this).

This is really helpful, thank you! Any idea how much replacing the gear box would cost? Sounds like I should expect to be spending at least this much if something does go wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spooki said:

This is really helpful, thank you! Any idea how much replacing the gear box would cost? Sounds like I should expect to be spending at least this much if something does go wrong.

Iirc Pumaspeed, for example, do a kit for around £1600 for the parts, about £500 fitting.

Managed to find the thread I mentioned which gives an idea of DIY:

 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/107127-focus-6-sp-into-fiesta-mk75-10/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership