Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 ST Timing Chain

hilljamie17

Le 17/05/2021 à 18h35, iantt a dit :

1,0 l est également en chaîne maintenant, depuis environ 12 mois. 

non c'est une courroie , c'est une chaîne sur les hybrides mais une courroie humide pour la pompe à huile

3 hours ago, Links234 said:

non c'est une courroie , c'est une chaîne sur les hybrides mais une courroie humide pour la pompe à huile

I know Cornwall is along way south and probably nearer France than North East England but I never realised just how much the Cornish accent is influenced by their neighbors  🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, unofix said:

I know Cornwall is along way south and probably nearer France than North East England but I never realised just how much the Cornish accent is influenced by their neighbors  🤣

What you really were going to say as your from Durham was 

Je sais que les Cornouailles sont bien au sud et probablement plus proches de la France que du nord-est de l'Angleterre, mais je n'ai jamais réalisé à quel point l'accent des Cornouailles est influencé par leurs voisins.

• Haha 1

This thread was originally about the 1.5 in the Mk 8 Fiesta, but it is perhaps worth restating what we have found in the 2 years plus since Monsieur Ian's post translated above.

All 1.0 MHEVs have chain cam but oil pump belt. All 1.0 Mk 4/4.5 Focuses have chain cam/oil pump belt but not all (particularly early) are MHEV .

We originally thought that when the Mk 8 Fiesta got the revised engine mid 2020 all chain cam engines were MHEV, but at least 2 early ones have emerged (with photographic evidence) with chain, but non-MHEV. Likewise at least 2 of the short-lived 95ps version. 

Ian found that the 100ps 1.0 ecoboost and normally aspirated 1.1.VCT 75/85ps were wet cam belt to the end.  

On the original topic, the very early 1.5 had a gear driven oil pump before going wet belt from early 2019 engine production, as Ian also mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edit: still on the original topic, on other forums some ST owners have reported that their cars, built well into 2019, still had the gear drive oil pump.

It seems that with various plants closing, engines are/were being built and shipped in batches to the relevant vehicle assembly plant. Mine for example, was assembled end of February 2023 in Cologne but the engine was built in Mexico in November 2022 as shown. (Poor shot - hard to get to the build sticker!).

DSC_0143-2.JPG

• Like 1

I haven't gathered from this thread (unless I missed it), does the 1.5 3cyl Ecoboost engine in the ST have a wet timing belt, a conventional dry timing belt or a chain? A wet belt was mentioned, but only, I assume, regarding the oil pump drive.

28 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I haven't gathered from this thread (unless I missed it), does the 1.5 3cyl Ecoboost engine in the ST have a wet timing belt, a conventional dry timing belt or a chain? A wet belt was mentioned, but only, I assume, regarding the oil pump drive.

The ST engine uses a timing chain but the oil pump is driven by a small belt in the sump.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

I haven't gathered from this thread (unless I missed it), does the 1.5 3cyl Ecoboost engine in the ST have a wet timing belt,

You must have missed the OP, Jim.😀

On 5/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, hilljamie17 said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why Ford decided to go with a timing chain on the MK8 ST. 

On 11/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This thread was originally about the 1.5 in the Mk 8 Fiesta, but it is perhaps worth restating what we have found in the 2 years plus since Monsieur Ian's post translated above.

All 1.0 MHEVs have chain cam but oil pump belt. All 1.0 Mk 4/4.5 Focuses have chain cam/oil pump belt but not all (particularly early) are MHEV .

We originally thought that when the Mk 8 Fiesta got the revised engine mid 2020 all chain cam engines were MHEV, but at least 2 early ones have emerged (with photographic evidence) with chain, but non-MHEV. Likewise at least 2 of the short-lived 95ps version. 

Ian found that the 100ps 1.0 ecoboost and normally aspirated 1.1.VCT 75/85ps were wet cam belt to the end.  

On the original topic, the very early 1.5 had a gear driven oil pump before going wet belt from early 2019 engine production, as Ian also mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edit: still on the original topic, on other forums some ST owners have reported that their cars, built well into 2019, still had the gear drive oil pump.

It seems that with various plants closing, engines are/were being built and shipped in batches to the relevant vehicle assembly plant. Mine for example, was assembled end of February 2023 in Cologne but the engine was built in Mexico in November 2022 as shown. (Poor shot - hard to get to the build sticker!).

DSC_0143-2.JPG

What's the easiest way to tell if the 1.5 has a gear driven oil pump or wet belt? Thanks

25 minutes ago, Jonson said:

What's the easiest way to tell if the 1.5 has a gear driven oil pump or wet belt? Thanks

Take it apart!  But seriously there is no realistic way. Only guessing based on car build dates, so cars built before 2019. 

44 minutes ago, Jonson said:

Have a look at the build date of the engine. Build date 25/02/2019 on are belt. Also the lower part of the timing cover with gear driven pumps  is fairly smooth on illustrations I've seen, the belt driven version has various ribs in the cover.

Edit: PS Its hard to spot the build sticker but you can get a shot by holding your phone (don't drop it!) round the back of the engine, from the offside, like the one I posted a few days back.

My info says build date 15/01/2019onwards as the car build date for the belt drive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iantt said:

My info says build date 15/01/2019onwards as the car build date for the belt drive. 

There seem to be several versions of this in various online sources. The mods don't like us linking to other Ford forums, but I have seen elsewhere a shot of a document which stated that the change was erroneously quoted as 28/01/19 (yet another date!) and that Ford internal documentation would be retrospectively corrected to 25/02/19. 

So "very early 2019" is probably the best we can do for now.😀

I have also seen mention that the belt version has a greater oil capacity* (6.1l against 4.75l) and a shorter dipstick (48.5cm against 51cm ) - have you heard anything on that, Ian? 

(* The oil capacity on mine, according to the on-line handbook, is 6.25l.)

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There seem to be several versions of this in various online sources. The mods don't like us linking to other Ford forums, but I have seen elsewhere a shot of a document which stated that the change was erroneously quoted as 28/01/19 (yet another date!) and that Ford internal documentation would be retrospectively corrected to 25/02/19. 

So "very early 2019" is probably the best we can do for now.😀

I have also seen mention that the belt version has a greater oil capacity* (6.1l against 4.75l) and a shorter dipstick (48.5cm against 51cm ) - have you heard anything on that, Ian? 

(* The oil capacity on mine, according to the on-line handbook, is 6.25l.)

Ah, your onto something there. I did a Kuga service last week and checked capacity on etis and said 2 different quantities dependant on sump. Metal or plastic. Edit.. that change wasn't in conjunction with belt or gear. Well not in the case of Kuga. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Ah, your onto something there. I did a Kuga service last week and checked capacity on etis and said 2 different quantities dependant on sump. Metal or plastic. Edit.. that change wasn't in conjunction with belt or gear. Well not in the case of Kuga. 

It would be funny if it did turn out to be as simple as that, though. Which one was largest capacity, metal or plastic, and did ETIS give any changeover dates?

And just to confuse things the reliable information I have for the Dragon Engine in the Focus is a service Fill capacity including Filter is 4.75 for pre 15/01/19 and 5.05 for after 15/01/19.

And to be fair to my local dealer, they did charge me for 6 Litres of oil for that extra 0,05l but they did overfill it😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

And just to confuse things the reliable information I have for the Dragon Engine in the Focus is a Service Fill capacity including Filter is 4.75 for pre 15/01/19 and 5.05 for after 15/01/19.

Lol, we could be getting warmer though. That 4.75l seems to be consistently quoted for the early (gear driven pump version). 

Just looking through various Fiesta handbooks online (it's raining outside!) and the version for build up to 27/01/19 states oil capacity including filter as 4.75.

The next handbook, for 28/01/19 is 6.1l which ties in with what I've seen elsewhere for the belt oil pump drive version.

It continues at 6.1l up to the handbook from 22/11/22 onwards when it goes up to 6.25l which is as my 2023 model.

59 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The next handbook, for 28/01/19 is 6.1l

I wonder why it is a full Litre more than mine. I have changed my oil myself and the 5.05L is correct.

51 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I wonder why it is a full Litre more than mine.

So Ford can charge more for a service 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club