Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BCM .Body Control Module

Ian Lockley

I had issues that could have been related to water ingress from the washer bottle wiring into the BCM.

I spent an hour yesterday while the battery was disconnected for the no1 injector strip out .

I checked the BCM jtself and the connection blocks .

I managed to do the inspection just removed the kicker carpet what's attached behind the glove box .

It's a bit of a struggle but at 15 stone I am quite large.

Do not do this with battery  connected.

No signs of water damage or shorted out contacts.

Very Happy.

But what else could have caused the original  breakdown. 

I had operated the screen washers while driving across  a dusty field to a clay pidgeon shoot.

When I  parked up I  had to turn up hill then 180 degrees to point car ready for the way out .

2 hours later I  drove back to the road .

5 miles later car went into limp mode with very poor running 2000 rom and 25 mph max. 

MEMO

SAME SYMPTOMS AS 1261 DTC. 

RAC came put scanner on cleared the faults. 

When I  asked him what the faults were he said he would give me a print out to take to garage  .

As I  was driving the fault re accured 3 times so he had to clear them each time.

I set off after the final reset only to get 200 yds up the road before Limp Mode struck again .

I was doing about 45 mph 

I took it out of gear ,turned ignition  off then restarted fault had disappeared.

When I  got home he made an excuse  about not printing me a copy of his DTC read outs.

Said its all stored in ecu so garage will recover them .

I drove 1,500 miles without further  problems. 

UNTIL THE 1261 DTC HI to Low dead short started to re appear a couple of weeks ago.

I had purchased a scanner and when the limp mode struck again .

I  cleared the faults  myself.

It's my conclusion that it was injector problem from the start. The 2 solenoids inside the injector short out and jam .

"Turning key off cut power and they released"

If he had given me the read out it would probably have been much easier to sort out , and not lead me up the wrong path.

Another day when driving through  heavy rain then using screen washers , lead to engine stuttering , thus suspecting water ingress into BCM. Stopped using washer and fault disappeared. 

No DTC or limp mode on that occasion. 🤔 

Sorry its a ramble but just shows how in the dark I  was left without  the RAC read out of DTCs.

If he won't give you a read out take a photo of his scanner screen .

You have paid for  it so don't be fobbed off.

Insist. 

Bearing in mind how reasonably priced a WiFi code reader is and how easy it is to use an app on phone to display results it is a handy thing for all of us to keep in glovebox all of the time 

4 hours ago, Ian Lockley said:

UNTIL THE 1261 DTC HI to Low dead short started to re appear a couple of weeks ago.

I had purchased a scanner and when the limp mode struck again .

I  cleared the faults  myself.

It's my conclusion that it was injector problem from the start. The 2 solenoids inside the injector short out and jam .

All DTCs start with a letter: B,C,U or P. This can be very important, the same number may well be re-used. P1261 would be the Injector Short circuit code, it will be stored in, and raised by, the ECU (or PCM, or ECM in Ford Speak). Most codes raised by the BCM will be B codes. And they will relate to functions controlled by the BCM, or to system voltage (battery/alternator) problems.

While water ingress into the BCM is a rather common fault, including via the washer wiring (though this is not so common), it is not very likely to be linked to engine faults. So I suspect the engine fault is not related to the BCM or washers. As you say, it was probably the injector problem from the start.

Another (kind of related) fault that you can find on the 'net is where washer water leaks inside the bonnet, into spark plug holes on the engine. This would cause engine problems like power loss and stuttering, but only applies to certain petrol engines, not the 1.6TDCI.

4 hours ago, Ian Lockley said:

shows how in the dark I  was left without  the RAC read out of DTCs.

If he won't give you a read out take a photo of his scanner screen

You are absolutely right about insisting on a print-out or good photo of any codes. You can not rely on them staying in the ECU for long. Sometimes they do, sometimes they are gone on the next ignition cycle. It seems to be at the whim of the writer of that bit of code. Even a good diagnostic system like Forscan will not find the short lived codes unless you can do a scan very soon.

So keeping a decent diagnostic system in the car at all times is a very good idea. I have a cheap self contained one in the car, and take my laptop & ELM327 lead if I am going more than about 100miles from home.

Fitted replacement  s/h injector fault was p1261 .

All sorted now running well.

I did not re code injector. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club