Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Mondeo knocking front end both sides

Mon-day-ut-oh

Mondeo Knocking noise

Hi Everyone,

We have a Mondeo 2008, diesel 2l (Titanium X). We’re suffering with a knocking noise which I’m hoping the forum might be able to give me some pointers with please?

It has a knocking noise (not really a rattle) from the front end- sounds like its coming from the footwell area, both passenger and drivers side.

The noise (see YouTube video link) is only replicable when the car is on the move. Stationary or on shaker plates doesn’t replicate. It happens engine on or engine off providing the car is in motion, forward or backward. In or out of gear, its still present.  It happens going over holes or just the road in general, unless the road is really smooth you can hear it most of the time. Straight line or cornering.

Had the car since December and it’s only needed light maintenance but the shocks (front and back) were showing signs of being worn out so decided to replace. Replaced the back shocks, no issues. Due to being mid-house move I asked a local garage to replace the front shocks - I provided the shocks and the mounts (new Napa mounts and new struts the name of which I can’t remember but not Ford struts). After that the knocking noise started. Not sure if the noise came about as a result of replacing the struts or whether it was already there before the struts were replaced but due to all the noise from the knackered shocks it was masked.

Returned it to the garage and they couldn’t find any cause - they replaced the rear drop links which were worn but that still didn’t fix it.  Needed the car back so took it back and the noise continued to do my head in. We found both front outer tie rods worn so replaced them, no change. 

Tried running the car up and down the drive with both headlights removed as they were a bit loose but no change.

Padded out the radiator, grill and other panels with cloth to see if it was trim related, no change.

Looked in scuttle tray for tools left behind from front shocks, nothing found. 

Getting desperate at this point, although not showing any signs of wear we changed the front and rear ARB bushes, no change.

Changed the front mounts again with a slightly different Napa P/N, as we weren’t sure that the original ones supplied were right, still no change. Removed all splash guards and the front wheel arch liners, no change.

Loosing the will to live, we sent it to a local garage for a fresh pair of eyes to look, they couldn’t find anything, could hear the noise and thought they had tracked it down to the inner tie rods. Changed them today, no change.

None of the other suspension parts nor running gear (Driveshafts etc) look remotely worn.

Tried locating the noise by recording videos on my phone in the passenger suspension, lower wish bone and scuttle, and no joy. I could only get the noise by recording inside the car in the footwell (side of seat). 

Has anyone got any useful suggestions to help me finally locate the source please?

Thank you

Nicky

You've not mentioned front drop links... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes drop links

• Thanks 1

However, I only know the mk3, and with that, the shock  mounts have to be fitted a certain orientation  and that is with the arrows on the top of the mounts  parallel to the wings and pointing front to back. Else you  get knocking. I'll see if I can find a pic to attach.. 

There's one here 

https://www.talkford.com/threads/strut-top-arrow.161144/

bear in mind, this is for the mk3... it might also apply to the mk4 aswell tho'... let us know how you get on. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nicam49 said:

You've not mentioned front drop links... 

we’ve not replaced them as they don’t look to be worn at all 

Anytime I've came across a problem like that after a Shock change is because the Spring has not been compressed fully when assembling. It could also be a faulty or wrong Shock.

Either way it would be wise to disassemble the Struts and check the Shock Absorber under full movement and carefully assemble them again paying attention to compressing the Spring fully.

• Thanks 1

The springs and shocks have been taken out twice now - 1st time for replacement and 2nd to change the mounts again.  It would be nice to avoid a 3rd time but it’s looking probable. 

3 hours ago, Mon-day-ut-oh said:

The springs and shocks have been taken out twice now - 1st time for replacement and 2nd to change the mounts again.  It would be nice to avoid a 3rd time but it’s looking probable. 

Looking at it logically if the problem only reared its head after the replacement and nothing was damaged then it must be either faulty/ wrong parts or incorrect fitment.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link- watched that video before and I’m pretty certain everything was aligned but might have to take it out again and treble check.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:48 PM, Mon-day-ut-oh said:

we’ve not replaced them as they don’t look to be worn at all 

Have replaced the front drop links now, they weren’t that worn and the noise is still present both sides

At least you're trying!. 

If it was more of a creak, I'd suggest that the anticreak sleeves on the springs are missing (again, this is something that the mk3 has... May not on the mk4)

Item #15 in the diagram, tho' interestingly it's showing the sleeve at the top of the spring, it shld be at the base of the spring! note that this is the mk3 diagram! 

IMG_20220612_151141.thumb.jpg.b70eb4ab7eb567b23ee08b192cc45714.jpg

So taken both front shocks out, weren’t quite aligned so realigned them with pegs & tab in the right place and ……no change 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Subframe bolts loose?

Good thought have not checked that 

39 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

At least you're trying!. 

If it was more of a creak, I'd suggest that the anticreak sleeves on the springs are missing (again, this is something that the mk3 has... May not on the mk4)

Item #15 in the diagram, tho' interestingly it's showing the sleeve at the top of the spring, it shld be at the base of the spring! note that this is the mk3 diagram! 

IMG_20220612_151141.thumb.jpg.b70eb4ab7eb567b23ee08b192cc45714.jpg

Thanks for this - sleeves still in place and bump stops firmly in the mounts 

All subframe bolts seem tight enough, padded out the radiator and headlights with cloth as they had some movement but still got the noise. Found these two mysterious objects rolling around under the back seat but noise still there post removal 😭

E5394B3C-B24B-4B31-BBD9-3E03EE831FC4.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nicam49 said:

Poltergeist? 

I’m starting to think so 😄

Messed about with it a bit more last night- removed the lower weather strips as they were loose, appreciate they should be pressured by the door but at this point I’m prepared to try anything because this noise is wrecking my head. Naturally no joy. I’m convinced I can feel the knocking/bumping through the steering so will have to do a bit more investigation, perhaps this evening. 

On 6/12/2022 at 5:23 PM, Mon-day-ut-oh said:

All subframe bolts seem tight enough, padded out the radiator and headlights with cloth as they had some movement but still got the noise. Found these two mysterious objects rolling around under the back seat but noise still there post removal 😭

E5394B3C-B24B-4B31-BBD9-3E03EE831FC4.jpeg

I think those are nut covers from the belts.  Do they have a hex shape cut-out on the inside?

1 hour ago, Mon-day-ut-oh said:

Messed about with it a bit more last night- removed the lower weather strips as they were loose, appreciate they should be pressured by the door but at this point I’m prepared to try anything because this noise is wrecking my head. Naturally no joy. I’m convinced I can feel the knocking/bumping through the steering so will have to do a bit more investigation, perhaps this evening. 

Steering rack bolts loose perhaps?  (Apologies if already checked)

No good suggestion and all fixings look good. 
when the car is driven and I go upside down into the footwell it’s can clearly be heard the other side of the footwell.

given it happens when the car is in a straight line or steering , the engine is on or off , it’s in gear or not -it has to be related to something connected to the wheels because if it was something on the bodywork that would be expected to replicate when the car was bounced up and down.
just had

it up on ramps again to try and get to the bottom of this head wrecker!

checked out steering rack all looks ok but as it happens when steering it’s unlikely to be the rack.

The only thing left that hasn’t been replaced is the driveshaft so we honed in on trying to make those produce some sort of noise. The noise would not occur if you move the driveshaft up or down, forward or back (not rotational as it’s in a ramp) but then had a breakthrough and could replicate the noise if the shafts are pulled in and out - the noise can be heard so it looks like that’s the issue! Hallelujah! New parts on order so will let you guys know when it’s been replaced and confirmed that it’s been resolved ( or not - and if not I’m being checked into the asylum ) 

• Like 3

Your first post mentioned a YouTube link....I can't see it anywhere and assume it's a recording of the noise?

12 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

Your first post mentioned a YouTube link....I can't see it anywhere and assume it's a recording of the noise?

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

That's not your usual knocking noise. I can't offer any other suggestions, hopefully it is the driveshafts.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club