Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive steering

Lozza41

Hi, 

We started having problems with the adaptive steering at the beginning of this year (2022) we took it into the garage who told us it was a sensor, so we paid £500 to get it fixed.

3 weeks later it went again only this time the car wouldn’t start, when it eventually did we had no power steering.

Took it back to the same garage who said it was sensor 2 that had gone, yet every time they ordered the specific part that came up on there diagnostics machine it was the wrong one.

This resulted in the garage having our car for 5 weeks (end of Feb to 1st week in April) they also managed to drive it to a ford garage in York, to see if there diagnostics machine would give them any different details, sadly it didn’t not.

We we’re told the only way to rectify the problem was to have the steering column replaced at £3,000, so we reluctantly did.

This then threw out the lane assist, which the garage could not sort and we had to source another garage who could recode the system costing yet another £600.

We finally thought thats it fixed, only sadly 2 weeks later the adaptive steering warning came on again.

Needless to say all garages have no clue as to what to do and have put it down to “there’s been a lot of repair to it, it just needs to settle down”

The car is now very temperamental one minute it’s fine the next the adaptive warnings coming on, and the other day it decided to do one better it, instead of my steering wheel being straight when driving forward ( the ford badge forward facing) it had turned a full 180 degrees so the ford badge was reading horizontally whilst the wheels were straight.

Has anyone else had these problems with their Edge?
 I’m too nervous to drive my car especially when I’ve got my kids in the back. 

Did your car have the recall carried out that fixed issues with the adaptive steering? If not, then this should be addressed by the recall (for free!).

The recall was discussed way back in 2018 in this thread ...

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/102788-ford-recall-adaptive-steering/?_rid=80485

The recall call for the steering wheel to be replaced with a different part number than originally built with, which has different position sensors and adaptive motor control. Your symptoms are exactly why the recall was issued. I would get your dealer to check for outstanding field service actions and also check the part number of the steering wheel that is currently fitted. I suspect it hasn't been changed or it has been changed for the same part number that was originally fitted (you wouldn't be the first!) ... which doesn't fix the recall issue and why you are seeing it now.

• Like 3

I’ve seen the threads about the recall issue, however when I’ve typed my VIN number in nothing comes up for it, does anyone has any documentation they could post or email to me please so I can take it with me when I take the car back to Ford on the 23rd September?

Everyone I’ve previously used are all just scratching their heads and telling me they’ve no idea what the problem is nor do they know of any recall, I’m finding it all very frustrating.

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, Lozza41 said:

I’ve seen the threads about the recall issue, however when I’ve typed my VIN number in nothing comes up for it, does anyone has any documentation they could post or email to me please so I can take it with me when I take the car back to Ford on the 23rd September?

See the other topic. I've added some info.

26 minutes ago, Lozza41 said:

Everyone I’ve previously used are all just scratching their heads and telling me they’ve no idea what the problem is nor do they know of any recall, I’m finding it all very frustrating.

If they are following the service manual and understanding the DTC's that are logged, then it's fairly straight forward to diagnose and fix ... unless there is a wiring fault, in which case just changing components/parts isn't going to sort it out! If they are scratching their heads, they aren't electrical based. Has it had a diagnostic tool on it? Do you know someone with a OBD2 adapter (£10 to $20) and Forscan (free from the web). That will show you all the fault codes with the SECM, including position sensor health and communication to the rest of the car.

With adaptive steering, especially after a replacement, there is also an initialisation/commissioning/calibration stage that needs to be done using the Ford IDS. If the garage don't know what they are doing, I suspect that will not have been done either. Was this a main Ford dealership?

• Like 1

Did you ever receive the documentation you required for the recall notice about the adaptive steering? 

The information you’ve provided is great thanks, but I’m specifically after the recall notice regarding the adaptive steering.

In answer to the above questions after having the new steering column replaced we had to take it to another garage to get the column recoded, I think that’s the answer to what you’ve asked me, I’m really not that technically mind as you may have guessed 

56 minutes ago, Lozza41 said:

Did you ever receive the documentation you required for the recall notice about the adaptive steering? 

No, it was just picked up at my next service and carried out then.

• 1 year later...

Hi Lozza41,

114 / 5 000

Fordítási találatok

Fordítási találat

I also have a similar problem with Adaptive Steering. Have you already been able to solve it, or do you have any further information?

See the answer posted above 5th September 2022 by @simonb65

Has your car ever had the 'Recall' work done ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club