Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Fan Temp?

stef123

hi all,

can anyone tell me what temperature the radiator fan on my focus 2001 1.6 petrol should cut in at? im trying to test it to make sure it works but the temp keeps going up with no sign of a fan.

going to check the relay and connections.

artscot i know you have posted up the temp plenty of times, i just cant find any of your posts :lol: ive had the engine up to 99 degrees, but ive just looked in haynes - the thermostat doesnt fully open until 96 degrees. does the fan kick in at over 100?

cheers

stef

EDIT: ok so ive closed the contacts in the relay and put it back in...the fan works. ive also put 12v across the coil of the relay and it works so its not the fan and its not the relay...arghh..

hi all,

can anyone tell me what temperature the radiator fan on my focus 2001 1.6 petrol should cut in at? im trying to test it to make sure it works but the temp keeps going up with no sign of a fan.

going to check the relay and connections.

artscot i know you have posted up the temp plenty of times, i just cant find any of your posts :lol: ive had the engine up to 99 degrees, but ive just looked in haynes - the thermostat doesnt fully open until 96 degrees. does the fan kick in at over 100?

cheers

stef

EDIT: ok so ive closed the contacts in the relay and put it back in...the fan works. ive also put 12v across the coil of the relay and it works so its not the fan and its not the relay...arghh..

well on the 1.8 from what ive been told the engine fan will cut in at 98 degrees and run till the temp drops to 92 degrees maybe haynes can clarify that the 1.6 ive heard of the fan coming on at 103 degrees ide suggest leave it till then and see what happens at 103 degrees if what haynes says is right that it fully opens at 96 then ide imagine the fan cuts in at 103 and drops to perhaps 98 or 99

well on the 1.8 from what ive been told the engine fan will cut in at 98 degrees and run till the temp drops to 92 degrees maybe haynes can clarify that the 1.6 ive heard of the fan coming on at 103 degrees ide suggest leave it till then and see what happens at 103 degrees if what haynes says is right that it fully opens at 96 then ide imagine the fan cuts in at 103 and drops to perhaps 98 or 99

103 sounds good then, my mates dad thought just over 100 somewhere. under normal driving the temp is going from 90-96. its hard to get the engine to 100 degrees, sitting idle at 2k revs is about the best way i have found...

103 sounds good then, my mates dad thought just over 100 somewhere. under normal driving the temp is going from 90-96. its hard to get the engine to 100 degrees, sitting idle at 2k revs is about the best way i have found...

well after searching the net all this time i get a lot of conflicting info from what i gather it should cut in by 100 degrees and out again around 96 degrees

well after searching the net all this time i get a lot of conflicting info from what i gather it should cut in by 100 degrees and out again around 96 degrees

same ive read 103 and 109?

just unplugged the temp sensor to trick the engine, it goes into thinking its 215 degrees and the fan does cut in, so the fan temp must be quite high?

but when i use my diagnostic tool it shows the temp at say 110 when the dash only shows 99/100 or whatever? weird for only having one temp sensor...

same ive read 103 and 109?

just unplugged the temp sensor to trick the engine, it goes into thinking its 215 degrees and the fan does cut in, so the fan temp must be quite high?

but when i use my diagnostic tool it shows the temp at say 110 when the dash only shows 99/100 or whatever? weird for only having one temp sensor...

the dash even the digital readout only tells you what it wants really just like when the idle on the cluster shows a steadt rpm yet the digital shows it up and down like a yoyo does the haynes have any info on the 1.8? from what i read they are the same thermostats up to a certain year mid 2001 after that they are different

the dash even the digital readout only tells you what it wants really just like when the idle on the cluster shows a steadt rpm yet the digital shows it up and down like a yoyo does the haynes have any info on the 1.8? from what i read they are the same thermostats up to a certain year mid 2001 after that they are different

yeah i know what you mean about the rpm.

yeah there is different things in it for the 1.8...

1.4+1.6 - starts to open @ 82C fully open at 96C

1.8+2.0 - starts to open @ 92C fully open at 99C

yeah i know what you mean about the rpm.

yeah there is different things in it for the 1.8...

1.4+1.6 - starts to open @ 82C fully open at 96C

1.8+2.0 - starts to open @ 92C fully open at 99C

well ill have to look at mine the on dash digital read out shows my fan cuts in at 98/99 degrees and cools it down to 92 degrees so mine should i guess come on at a higher temp strange the diagnostics never picked anything up even when the sensors were tested

• 3 years later...

Hi there, i'm a bit of a new one to this site, but can anyone shed some light on why my focus (04) cooling fan cuts in too early. It starts after its up to normal temp. No signs of overheating either?

Hi there, i'm a bit of a new one to this site, but can anyone shed some light on why my focus (04) cooling fan cuts in too early. It starts after its up to normal temp. No signs of overheating either?

If you run the air con it will cut in at idle.

• Like 1

If you run the air con it will cut in at idle.

I'm not using air con at the moment

Check the coolant tanks not on minimum if thats okay you may have a faulty fan switch even with aircon off if you have the fan set to windscreen it comes on

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh, thanks artscot79, we do have the fan mostly set to windscreen, so that's my problem sorted yeh? or is that the symptom of the faulty fan switch?

cheers

Gary

take it off windscreen to say footwell and windscreen shouldnt come on then when starting

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club